Head odors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 15, 2005
- - Brooklyn, NY
I have owned a 1993 Beneteau 400 for two years and have had constant head odors from the front head. No matter what cleaner I use it seems to smell up the boat when the baot is closed up. On cruise with the windowns open it is fine. I have cleaned out the vent line which when clogged made matters worse. But that did not cure everything. I have considered putting ventilation holes from the holding tank chamber to the anchor locker as well as a solar ventilation fan. Has anyone gone to the trouble of replacing the holding tank and hoses?

C

Charlie Gruetzner - BeneteauOwners.net

Marshall

I would start by changing the hoses. Also get a copy of Peggy Hall's book since it really contains a wealth of knowledge and ideas to help you. I am sure that you can get if from this site. Also, does the head smell when the boat has sat for a week or so? It might be algae etc. that have have been in the hoses etc that smell. When you leave the boat run fresh water through the system. Charlie

Mar 3, 2004
Beneteau 361 Marblehead
Wrap the hoses with aluminum tape.

Marshall, I don’t know how hard is to reach the hoses but if you can, all you need to do is cover them with single side sticky aluminum tape with sold in HomeDepo for less than $10. I used to have the same problem in my 361 and ever since I covered them, over 3 years ago, the smell went away. Even if you have difficulty accessing the hoses, I would not buy new ones but, instead take the old ones out and keeping the same original shape, cover them with the aluminum foil. Changing hoses for new ones will only solve the problem temporarily since even the most expensive ones will eventually permeate. The old hoses covered with the tape will least certainly more than new ones and will avoid you having to install expensive and rigid hoses that are very difficult to connect.

Status
Not open for further replies.