Head Not Flushing

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mickey Goodman

Hi Peggy: In my process of winterizing my 88 Legend 37, this is a new boat for me. I put the pink antifreeze in the head and started pumping, the head is a Grocco manual, and nothing happened. I pumped and pumped and the level in the head did not change. I then checked the valves and made sure the through hull was opened. There is a Y valve which I expect switches between the holding tank and the through hull. There is a metal rod sticking out of the Y valve which should have a handle to change the position of the valve. The questions is does this sound like a requirement for a rebuild to the manual pump? Your help is appreciated.

P

Paul Akers

If it's like mine...

...then the "rod" (no knob) on the right, rear side of the manual pump should be in the "dry pump" position to pump out the bowl(down, pointed toward the hull). The "up" position will draw water from the thru hull to wash out the bowl. I know your boat is not in the water, so push the lever back, toward the hull. Unless the parts are worn, this should empty the bowl. Good Luck :)

P

Peggie Hall/Head Mistress

Hard to say...

What exactly is it that you think is a y-valve...where is it located? 'Cuz if it's on the toilet pump, Paul is right...it's not a y-valve, it's the dry/flush lever. The toilet SHOULD pump out in either position...but out of the water, it can't prime with flush water. Try turning it to the other position. As for rebuilding the toilet, if the head is a model HC or HE, you'd have to buy the upgrade kit to an HF, which is almost the price of a new toilet. Even if it's an HF, a rebuild kit costs about half the price of comparable new...so unless the previous owner(s) have recently rebuilt it (I'd give 10-1 it's never been rebuilt), on a 10+ year old boat I'd just replace the darn thing. However--all marine toilets are NOT created equal...like everthing else, there are low-end, medium, and high-end models. So that advice only applies to heads that are $150 or less in the WM etc catalogs! If your toilet is a model K or EB, it's very expensive manual toilet--over $500 list price. In that case, I'd definitely rebuild--even if the rebuild kit is almost the price of a new low-end toilet. And while the boat's out of the water for the winter, it would be a good time for you to read the articles in the Reference Library in the Head Mistress forum. It's an even better time to read all the equipment manuals that came with your boat--or get them from each equipment mfr if you don't have them. It's only kind of important to know the difference between the dry/flush valve and a y-valve in your plumbing...but it can be VERY important to know what the parts are and what they do in other equipment on your boat.

P

Paul Akers

I rebuilt mine.

Mickey, As you know, I have the HF on my boat. I rebuilt it two years ago and the kit cost $35 then. Took about 45 mins to do. Oh yes...5 cents more for the rubber gloves.

Status
Not open for further replies.