Head enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jeff G

Ok, here's one for you...Am buying a 1991 MAC26. Previous owner removed the head enclosure (both bulkhead walls and the door). Called Macgregor and they said this could cause some serious stability problems in respect to the mast support. I was thinking about using "Star-board" (WestMarine) to replace these bulkheads. So...Any thoughts on the seriousness of this problem? Considering the expense of Star-board, any alternatives? Thanks

M

MArk

Wouldn't be prudent

Jeff, I'm not sure star-board has the torsion or compression strength you need. The bulkhead between the galley and head along with the mid-ship support post bear all the compression forces from the mast. Wood may be a better choice. Find someone with the original arrangement and take measurements and/or make patterns. Just my $0.02 Happy sails _/), Mark

J

jack bolen

replacing interior

we try to replace / rework etc with something practical (in our mind)not caring for sawdust made boards (ever see them wetted out)and just having to do something(why are we this way?)we figured 3/16 or 1/4 in marine ply screwed no glue together to make panels thick as original,would be a good way to keep extra moldable pieces of wood around in case any is ever needed, all access covers are also changed to this.also use those cheap closed cell foam camp pads to line the inside. good floation and curtails noise,no bulk.changed the handrail line to 3 strand nylon that you really have to work thru the holes, bigger and nicer. we dont think we will ever need any repair parts but think it is nice to try to figure out what we can replace that wont add any thing that is really there to start with .we just exchange it. aloha

J

Jeff G

Leading me to...

the following. Anyone parting out an old MAC26, or know where to get a pattern/template. I'll go with the marine ply. Thanks all for the responses.

C

Curtiss Grant

Template

Can't imagine how someone came up with that mod. I have a '91 26S and would offer to let you measure if you can't find a better offer. Mine is located in Kemah. Leave me a thread and we'll hook up with if you like.

J

Jeff G

Template offer

Curtis, Thanks for the offer. Email me at, jdgott@yahoo.com and let's find a convenient day.. Yeah, don't know why the previous owner wanted to do this either. Regards, Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.