Head Change

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bill Jones

I have ordered the necessary items to replace the aft compact Jabsco head withe the household size. The footprint of the two are the same, but some time ago another 40.5 owner that had done the same thing mentioned one adjustment that had to be done in order for the new head to fit properly. I thought I saved the info but did not. Anyone with experience in this matter that can help me out would be appreciated. Bill Jones s/v Bardi Sea

P

Peggie Hall/Head Mistress

Bigger bowl may mean moving the base forward

Because the discharge hole in the bottoms of both the small and the larger bowls is in the middle, half the extra length of the larger bowl will be aft of the middle. That means, if your small bowl was tight against a bulkhead, the larger bowl won't fit unless you move the whole toilet forward...and that means the bolts won't match the holes in the head sole any more. The solution: Fill the existing holes (do that anyway, even if you don't have to move the toilet...that makes sure the new bolts get a good bite and the toilet won't wobble). Make a nice teak or mahogany "platform" that completely covers the old holes and the space where you have to drill new ones. It doesn't have to be thicker than 1/4", but if you'd like to raise the toilet a little more (household height is 15" from from the lip of the seat to the floor, btw), now's the time to do it with a thicker piece of wood. If the toilet has to overhang any raised step, make the board big enough to overhang it too...so the whole toilet sits on the board. Finish it nicely...bevel the edges etc, sand it smooth and varnish it to match the rest of your woodwork. Secure the board with screws...do NOT cement it down. The bolts on the next toilet may not match either, and a new board will also be the solution to that problem. Seal moisture out with silicone sealant around the edges. Mount your new toilet on it and and commence enjoy it.

J

Jim Vincent

40.5 aft head bowl

Bill, ...i was the one with the article your mentioning. moving the bowl forward takes care of one problem but creates another. by moving it forward, it interferes with the door closing. your only option is to cut a slot (approx. 2"x4") in the wall liner behind the bowl, just enough to move the bowl back so not to interfere with the door. don't move the bowl back anymore than you have to clear the door (my has 1/8" clearence), otherwise the lid

Status
Not open for further replies.