Have you sailed at night?

Status
Not open for further replies.
O

ODO Editorial

If you've sailed your boat in the dark, what precautions have you taken to avoid groundings, commercial traffic, or other sailboats? Have you confined your nocturnal adventures to local, familiar waters? Or have you employed higher tech solutions like plotters, GPS, or radar? Share your dark secrets here, then vote in this week's Quick Quiz, found at the bottom of the ODO home page.

J

Justin - O'day Owner's Web

Sailing at Night

I have sailed at night both in familiar sheltered waters, and during off-shore passages (though not in far too long in the latter case). I find sailing locally at night far more challenging than passage making. I find either among the most rewarding things I've ever done. Off shore, its fairly easy. In good weather, it takes more than a half an hour for a target on the horizon to close with your position. The standing watch should have plenty of time to adjust course or to rouse more crew to tack out of the way. Navigation is simple because there are few places to run aground. Inshore is a whole nother thing. Navigation becomes crucial because the shoreline looks flat. A regular and accurate position fix is the only way to stay off the mud, or up here in Casco Bay, the giant boat eating rocks. I don't trust my GPS in tight water because Selective Availability means that it could be off more than the width of some of the local channels. I like ranges to get me home. I have learned the position of not only the local bouys but also of certain streetlamps, traffic lights, and even house lights, from which I have developed a series of ranges that will get me from Portland back to my mooring on Falmouth. Once I confirm that they're still good this season, I'd be happy to share them with anyone operating on Casco Bay. Avoiding other boats is also a whole nother game. The period of time I am least comfortable is immediately after dark. A lot of boats without adequate navigation lighting and perhaps without adequate navigational ability are still out trying to get back to where ever they put in that morning. These boats are almost impossible to see, may not know the wind and depth restrictions I am dealing with, and may be nervous about the failing light and thus hurrying and harried. Later in the night, the boats that are still out are likely more experienced. Also, as your eyes adjust to the night, you can see better. On clear nights with full moons, you can see almost as well as during the day, as long as you do not lose your night vision to a white light bulb. Even on my daysailer, I carry a red flashlight to avoid night blindness. Sailing after dark is beautiful. The wind usually comes back around here after dying around dusk. Whispering along under full canvass, under a full moon, ideally with someone else at the helm so my hands are free to hold my guitar is about as good as it gets. Justin - O'day Owner's Web

T

Tom Ehmke

sailing in the night

I have sailed after dark in the past when necessary because of a lack of wind or simple miscalculation. Last year as I moved from crawling to walking a few first steps in learning about sailing, and my boat in particular, I deliberately stayed out several times so that I could get more familiar with the night lights, both navigational and private that appear along the shoreline in the West Harbor area on the Catawba Peninsula on western Lake Erie. This summer I hope to make some legitimate night passages, sailing with an overnight destination in mind. As with most things I do these days, it's one step at a time.

O

ODO Editorial

Final results

Final results for the Quick Quiz ending 3/27/2000: Have you sailed at night? 36% Yes, frequently (19) 36% Yes, rarely (19) 19% No (10) 9% Are you kidding? (5)

G

Greg Ward

There's nothing better!!!!

Justin, was right on the money. I'm from the upper Chesapeake Bay Region and there are times I have gone out right at sunset. The wind does pick up again, less boaters are out there, not as hot and it is great. Always get a weather report before heading out. There is beauty in any condition: full moon or new moon. At full moon it is amazing how well you can see, the shadows from the rigging onto the deck is incredable. Amagine seeing everything as well in the day as night but with no color. No moon or new moon-- it is DARK but the beauty of this is the amount of stars one can see and if you look close enough you will notice a satellite going by--looks just like a star but it will be MOVING. Comon sense dictates: if it is your first time don't go far you don't have to--you don't even have to go for a very long time may just 2-3 hours. As you get more comfortable go "longer and often" 95% of the time I have never ventured more than 6-8 miles from my home port at night not because I afraid but because I don't have too. OH I almost forgot It is calm peacefully and quiet what more could a sailor want!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.