Have any of you changed out a Beneteau 323 Windscreen?

HanBan

Jan 18, 2018
Beneteau Oceanis 323 Pax River NAS
Hi guys,

I'm restoring my (new to me) Beneteau 323 and notice that the windscreen is crazed like mad. Have any of you replaced this part before?

Thanks,

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
It would help to know exactly what you are calling a “windscreen”.
I own a 323 and the only thing that I can visualize is one of the clear windows in a bimini.
Are you referring to the cabin top windows forward of the mast?

HanBan

Jan 18, 2018
Yes, I'm referring to the cabin top windows forward of the mast. I only call it a windscreen as that what beneteau usa call that part on their spare parts website.

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
I never had to replace one, but it should not be that difficult. Much like replacing a window pane.
Carefully dig out the old bedding, clean the mating surfaces completely. (Mr Murphy could make that two hour job last about 3 days).

I guessing that the crazing might be in the tint coating and that the pane itself is OK. Maybe someone is aware of a means of stripping that and recoating, leaving the glass seal to the cabin top intact.

One thing, although it has nothing to do with the crazing, is try not to stand on the glass! That is a good way to compromise the seal.

HanBan

Jan 18, 2018
Thanks for the file. This will come in handy.
Mine is an 05, but it also has the 18hp motor.
Got her in Texas, but completely restoring her in MD.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Maybe my 2006 is different (hull 136), but in front of the mast is two opening hatches. AFT of the mast there are two fixed glass overheads. 20 hp 3YM20

Last edited:

HanBan

Jan 18, 2018
Maybe my 2006 is different (hull 136), but in front of the mast is two opening hatches. AFT of the mast there are two fixed glass overheads.
I think mine is the same as yours Ron.

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
How did we get from glass replacement to engine size?
That aside, mine is hull 24, 2004 and has the 18hp 2GM20F. For the type of sailing I do, it is adequate. One advantage of the 2 cylinder is that it is lighter than the three cylinder, so less dead weight in the boat. (definition; if hyothetically, the engine is 100 pounds lighter, that is 100 pounds more junk I can accumulate somewhere else in the boat.)

May 11, 2015
Beneteau 323 Sakonnet, RI
Dug out my windscreen in pieces, replacing as soon as the hull temp is above 55 degrees

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Have done mine twice in past 3 years. Total PIA job to do. I suspect that the seal has failed because I didn't remove the acrylic lens completely and rebedding. If you break the lens attempting to remove it, you are facing $$$$ to replace it. However, I was meticulous in moving all the adhesive and sealer from around the lens perimeter, sanding, and cleaning. On the first repair, I used the same stuff that Beneteau used. On the second attempt, I used Sika primers & sealant. ( fairly expensive stuff because the primers are costly) Sika started deteriorating in months. I am due to reseal it again; plan to use Dow 795UV this time. Estimate approximately 10 hours to completion by the time you remove the old sealant and adhesive, sand, clean, mask, apply primer, and reseal, then cleanup.
Not a fun job.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
... Mine is an 05, but it also has the 18hp motor.
My 2006 was started in 2005 in the factory. Brochures I saw said 22 hp, but upon delivery (and after ordering folding prop for 22) I found it is a Yanmar 3YM20, 20 hp.

balguy

May 25, 2011
Beneteau 323 Saugatuck, MI
Hi guys,

I'm restoring my (new to me) Beneteau 323 and notice that the windscreen is crazed like mad. Have any of you replaced this part before?

Thanks,
Is there any way to restore them without replacing them? I have seen ads for products that they use on car headlights. Any ideas?

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Is there any way to restore them without replacing them?
Yes, if you know the material of the Hatch lens.

It is a series of polishing compounds. ≈$120 made by 3M.

Coarse to Light polishing materials.

Jim...