Hatches,...

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Original to the boat, I wooded the hatches, re-varnished and install new Lexan(3/8" polycarbonate sheet stock). 15 years later, they are serving notice.

The frames are still sound and tight and stripped easily. I used some commercial plastic cleaner/polish plus some good quality wax, and a 6" RO with a felt pad to remove some of the old haze. Worked pretty well and now with 8 coats of varnish, they're ready for another 15 bone dry seasons.

I'll do the curbs on the boat as weather permits.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Or weather doesn't permit. You can get a few things done in the spring in New England, under your cover. The curbs stripped off easily with a heat gun and sharp scraper. I used a hard sanding block with a handle fitted with mesh 80 grit screens to remove and flatten the surface. Hooked to a little shop vac, it makes the process, nearly, pleasant. It actually snowed outside yesterday, as I did this work.

SKraft

Oct 15, 2010
I used a McGuire's headlight restorer kit on Bounding Home's 51 year old hatches last year and the results were amazing. We changed out the plexi ports years ago with automotive safety glass, never to craze over again.

Bounding Home is scheduled to go in the water on April 7th. It snowed last night (April 1st) and its no April Fools joke.

We are hoping to be able to sail over to Block Island on May 2nd. Last time we made Block the first week of May, there were only three other boats in the entire harbor.