Hatches

Aug 11, 2022
Sabre 34 MKI Stonington
I have a 1983 Sabre 34 MKI. Does anyone know what brand of hatches they used? They look like Lewmar. I'd like to replace (if possible) the knob that locks the riser. The hatch keeps falling shut and it's just a matter of time before someone loses a finger or a toe. Scares the dogs too!
Thanks for your help.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Welcome to the forum!!

Any markings on the hatches? Photos? Dimensions? You have some options:
  1. Replace parts without removing.....but need to identify hatch mfg/model based on an internet search of hatch mfg's like Bomar Bomar Hatches | Pompanette Companies - Quality Marine Products, Lewmar, etc. This link indicates it might be a Bomar OverheadHatch.pdf
  2. Remove and repair by yourself OR send to Hatchmaster for a re-build......hatchmasters.com.
  3. Replace - might require a custom hatch..........I did that on 4 opening portlights last year since they were discontinued by the OEM.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Picture of the hatch support and locking pin would help. My Bomars from that time have a knob that tightens onto the support arm. ?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
You can find support arms for most hatches from the 80’s.

Put up a picture of the parts that are affected.

Welcome to the SBO sailors forum.

Aug 11, 2022
Sabre 34 MKI Stonington
I think I found what I needed at Defender. It's a Bowmar hatch. The little knob was only $6532.00!

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Is that price correct? For that, you can purchase new custom hatches AND portlights for your sailboat and have them installed with $$$ left over.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
No way. Must be a misprint.

Show us an image of your desire.