Hatch window has tiny cracks throughout

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Kandi

Hi, I have a 1998 Hunter 340 and the Hatch in the galley area has seem to have gotten worse. At first it started out being only a few inside cracks inside the glass. Now it's all throughout the glass. It looks like it has crystalized in between the glass. The cracks can't not be felt on either side of the hatch. As you can see it but can't feel them. I want to say they are stress cracks. Does any know if there is a warranty on this. As I really feel this is a defect in the material. Has this happen to anyone else? Thanks Kandi

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Crazy Craz'n..

..is just the plexiglass equivalent of wrinkles, it would seem. I have yet to own any boat that didn't generate crazing of plexiglass ports and hatches. And, in one case, they were always covered when not in use. There are always warnings regarding any window glass cleaner, and I think keeping them clean and using a dedicated plastic cleaner will help, but in my experience, it's just a part of aging. I wish someone would disagree and let us in on their experience. Also, I think that where the boat is located may have something to do with it. RD

S

Stephen Ostrander

agree with Rick

The condition you describe is called "crazing" and it is a characteristic of acrylics and polycarbonates. It can be caused by amoniated cleaning solutions and/or alcohol (in the solution, not you) and I also suspect that ultraviolet degradation is a factor. Its almost impossible to avoid, but its usually just a visual defect. My '88 33.5 has it in nearly every port light.

L

Larry Watkins

window cracks

Those cracks are caused by the sun, not by stress. They can be polished out, but it's not easy. Meguire makes a polish, as does 3M. After it's done, have a canvas cover made for the hatch.

T

Tim

Try this:

http://www.jcwhitney.com/product.jhtml?CATID=4528 Works great; I've used it for years and its easy to apply.

K

Kandi

Its on the inside not the outside of Hatch window

I guess I didn't make myself clear on these tiny cracks, I can't get them rubbed out, as the Lexon glass is fine on both sides! These cracks are in the middle of the lexon glass. ( Kind of like a bubble you may see in glass sometimes but the outer shell is fine) Except this is lexon, or plexiglass! If is was something we were doing wrong in cleaning them then this would be happening to all the other windows and hatches, and this is not happening to any other hatch or window on the boat! That is why I think this is a defective piece of plexiglass........................My other windows are just fine. Thanks

L

LaDonna Bubak - Catalina Owners

Call the manufacturer

With such a new boat it's possibly still under warranty. Call them & tell them the problem. Did you say you have two hatches that are similar? If so & only one is bad, then it definitely sounds like a defect. Good luck! LaDonna

V

V. Downing

It's at the molecular level ...

The gentleman (a chemist) who developed Island Girl Products explained it to me a couple of years ago. Certain products contain chemicals that extract polymers from plastics, which causes the crazing. Unfortunately, (I found out the hard way) two of the most popular boat washes are major offenders. My local Hunter dealer told me that they only use a (mild) dishwashing liquid like Dawn.

B

Bob Belvin

Gotta be the sun

Last year I bought a 1991 H33.5 that was based in Florida. All the clear hatches on the top have this crazing. But not the companion way slider, tinted, or the side ports or windows, which are large. I would think any wash or cleaner would have been used on all of them. So why only the top clear plastic? The crazing looks too deep to buff off, so I just live with it. Gotta be the sun...

Status
Not open for further replies.