Hatch Lleaking

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Darrell

I just bought a 1985 Beneteau First 42. 1: all the opening hatches leak. Does anyone know who made the hatches or where one could buy replacement gaskets? 2:the litle round vent devices on the hatches also drip when any water is comong aboard. Any suggestions?

C

Charlie Gruetzner - BeneteauOwners.net

Leaking hatches

Darrell, are you sure that it is leaking from the gasket? Most leaking hatches are the result of a broken seal where the hatch is bedded to the hull. The constant flexing of the hull over time breaks the seal and causes a leak. If that is the case you are going to need to remove the hatch, clean up all the old bedding material and rebed it with a eithr 3M 5200 sealant/adhesive or a Sitaflex 413 (I think that is the number) or make sure that the tensioning devices creating a tight seal. Good luck Charlie

I

Ivan Edwards

Lewmar

They may be Lewmar. Lewmar has a web site, with identification instructions, and replacement parts. There are some shops that will recondition your hatch. Just take the pin out of the hinge, and take the lid to a shop (or ship it). But the advice below, about re-bedding the hatch, is good advice.

Jan 18, 2004
Beneteau 321 Houston
Lewmar Hatches

Darrell Charlie is right on concerning many leak problems on Beneteaus. If after further examination you still think that the gaskets are leaking, go to the Lewmar website. There, you can easily determine the model from the utility on the site, then you can order gaskets direct from Lewmar or any Lewmar dealer, ie: West Marine, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.