Hatch handle

Mar 29, 2021
S2 36 Oakley, CA Delta
S2 11A : Original handle on lexan sliding main hatch is long gone. There are four screws going thru pieces of teak (?). Is there a replacement handle somewhere or is this one of those "on your own" issues. Last thing I want is having to drill more holes. That slider would be hard to near impossible to replace.
A thousand issues and just as many questions. Thanks for your patience.

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
The slider and screw closures were Italian made. Looong gone. The hatch that had a slider was the mid hatch. At least on both 11.0a that I I’ve owned

Mar 29, 2021
S2 36 Oakley, CA Delta
My main hatch is a slider on top about half inch thick plexiglass (?) with the usual wood boards facing the cockpit. There are four S/S phillips head screws about one inch long with nuts on the bottom side. There are two pieces of teak about two inches wide quarte inch thick about 18 inches long on top and bottom of slider secured with the screws. Sorry i'm on the couch and not near boat forgot to take pictures. I could take measurements and try to fabricate some type of wooden handle, just don't want to put undue strain on slide. Suggestions, please>
Thanks Hal

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
This is going to need a pic. I'm wondering if the two pieces of teak are guides for sliding?

Mar 29, 2021
S2 36 Oakley, CA Delta
The teak pieces run across, 90 degrees to the slider sides. Almost like two long washers sandwiching the plexiglass. I'm guessing that at one time there was possibly a handle maybe wood. I found a new S/S handle at our local cosignment store but I don't want to drill two more holes. Nice handle but holes don't match. Curious what was original. Found a teak handle that matches the two in the head, but holes don't match. I'll get some pictures.
Thanks Hal

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
The teak pieces run across, 90 degrees to the slider sides. Almost like two long washers sandwiching the plexiglass. I'm guessing that at one time there was possibly a handle maybe wood. I found a new S/S handle at our local cosignment store but I don't want to drill two more holes. Nice handle but holes don't match. Curious what was original. Found a teak handle that matches the two in the head, but holes don't match. I'll get some pictures.
Thanks Hal
My handle is a small block of acrylic glued to the hatch
064B923A-B6AC-4866-81B6-25D40475A399.jpeg

Mar 29, 2021
S2 36 Oakley, CA Delta
The hatch looks the same, but I’ll send a picture. I don’t have a handle. Thanks

Mar 29, 2021
S2 36 Oakley, CA Delta
Teak strip is less than half inch thick both top and bottom. I hoped to find some old pictures that might show detail. Yours is a newer one , mines a 79. After looking at your picture yours does not have four holes.

Mar 29, 2021
S2 36 Oakley, CA Delta
I'll have to live with it for now, too many projects. I also have a Columbia 28 that I'm going to part with. That thing is built like a tank and you put her into a good wind and I have almost buried the rail by accident and thought she was going over but I left off and she rounded up and she was ready to go again. On the S2, I borrowed a table saw and I am going to learn how to cut new boards for the passageway .
I do want to thank you for giving up your time to help, not many like you any more. I Thank You, and my Wife, Joann, thanks you also. She's getting tired listening to me grumble trying to learn more about "Freya".

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
No problem. Glad to help anytime. Mine must be hull 40. We are true sisterships! As for new boards, you might try refinishing what you have. You might be surprised. If you build new, the dado on top funnels water to the sides and down. The lower board has notches in lower corners o help expel water coming down the sides.