Has anyone tried this???

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Stu Timm

Hi, I have a 22 foot O'Day centerboard boat. I am thinking about stepping the mast while the boat remains in the water. Has anyone ever done this, and could they lend any advice as to what pitfalls may occur? Your kind knowledge has been, and always is appreciated Thanks in advance, Stu Timm "Karakahl"

B

Ben Allen - O'Day 26

Mast Steping

Stu, It is quiet easy to step your mast while on the water or the trailer. O'Day has a system that is well documented for stepping the mast forward. The system I use involves 2 sections of 1" electrical conduit, joined at one end with a bolt (but not very tight), place some rubber caps on the other ends and place one end just forward of each chainplate on the deck. Next, attach a block to your stem fitting and run a line from a winch, forward through the block and attach to the bolt on the gin pole, (the electrical conduit). Disconnect the forstay and attach this to the gin pole bolt. Now you are ready to lower the mast to the rear using the winch to take the friction on the line to control the drop. Keeping everyone weight as centered as possible, have some stand in the rear of the boat on top of the seats to take the mast as it gets to the bottom. Here is a photo of a Catalina 25 performing this operation in his slip. I did it with my OD 26 last week. Ben Allen Montgomery, AL "Wahoo" OD 26

J

Justin - O'day Owners' Web

You would have thought it was obvious . . .

but remember to tie a safety / retrieval line to the mast. We nearly lost our rig overboard in April while a power boat threw a huge wake while we were comissioning. Justin - O'day Owners' Web

B

Ben Allen - O'Day 26

OOPS! Forgot The Link

Here is a link to the Catalina 25 raising the mast in the slip. Like Justin mentioned, by all means, use backup lines and every safety precaution that you can. http://www.best.com/~c25c250/restricted/bearsad1.html Ben Allen

J

James Pronk

I do this all the time

I attach a block to the front chain plate (the one the forstay attaches to ) with all the other shrouds and aft stay hooked up, but loose.I run a line from the forstay through the block at the front chainplate to one of the winches at the cockpit. One person cranks and one walks the mast up.I tie the line to the stay just above the turnbuckleso when the mast is up I just have to hook up the forstay and tighten everthing down

Status
Not open for further replies.