Has anyone installed new Companionway Slider Track Felt?

AndyL

Jun 23, 2020
Hunter 36 Rock Hall
The hatch on my 2004 Hunter 36 squeaks and I think it's because the thin felt in the metal side rails that it's supposed to slide against is missing. I bought about 10' of new Companionway Slider Track Felt from the Hunter Store but I'm not sure the best way to install it. Has anyone done that?

Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
I have on my 38. The old felt was still present so I used needle nose pliers and an awl to work it out. It wasn’t easy as it was relatively decayed.
To install the new I used a dry lube like sailkote to lube the track. Make sure there are no dimples or dents in the track. I had one that I had to use a flat blade screw driver to straighten out.

the felt fed in fairly easily. I could push from the end and assist with the pliers and awl to work it in fully

AndyL

Jun 23, 2020
Hunter 36 Rock Hall
That's a great help - and thanks for the advice about dry lube. I checked out some pictures online and it looks like the 38's companionway setup is pretty much the same as mine.

Did you have to remove the white cover which the companionway "lid" slides under? I assume the track continues under that.

If you did remove it, was it pretty simple to remove and replace?

Regards,
Andy

Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
That's a great help - and thanks for the advice about dry lube. I checked out some pictures online and it looks like the 38's companionway setup is pretty much the same as mine.

Did you have to remove the white cover which the companionway "lid" slides under? I assume the track continues under that.

If you did remove it, was it pretty simple to remove and replace?

Regards,
Andy
I did not remove it. I was able to get the felt pushed up as far as I needed to without taking the storm hoold off.
I’d try not taking it off if you can. It’s not horrible but removal will make it a bigger project.. If you take off thr biggest concern is to make sure the screws are well sealed when you put it back together. You do not want water intrusion into the core through the screw holes.
If I recall correctly the felt really doesn’t go far Enough under thr hood to warrant taking it off.

AndyL

Jun 23, 2020
Hunter 36 Rock Hall
Well, the felt went in exactly as described but it didn't make any difference to the squeaky companion way cover :(

Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
You know I didn’t have the squeak but did have an issue with what I thought was excessive wear of the smoked glass slider. It slides on the aluminum rails. My solution was to buy some small diameter plastic tubing and cut a slot in it. Slid it on the track and now the slider runs of the higher lubricity plastic.
I wanted to use delrin but when I ordered the tubing I found that delrin was so hard I could not cut it.
I actually need to replace what I have as the tubing has worn through.

Nov 9, 2023
Hunter 36 Merritt Island
The source of the noise is probably the starboard spacer block that mounts to the underside of the forward end of sliding hatch. Take of the cover (or dorade, if fitted) and you can access the screws to remove it and clean it up. It likely has dirt built up on the surface it runs on that needs cleaning.

AndyL

Jun 23, 2020
Hunter 36 Rock Hall
The source of the noise is probably the starboard spacer block that mounts to the underside of the forward end of sliding hatch. Take of the cover (or dorade, if fitted) and you can access the screws to remove it and clean it up. It likely has dirt built up on the surface it runs on that needs cleaning.
Thanks so much - this was the source of the problem!!!

I tried cleaning it but ended up making a replacement block from a polyethylene block I'd bought for another project. We've had 3 days squeak free now. It's wonderful.