Harvest Moon Regatta - pulled the plug

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Just heard from the owner of my HMR ride (J105 Pesto) they just pulled the plug. Seems Port A didn’t want a huge party of Houston sailors all over the waterfront. Sad times but totally understandable.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
In the NE the Off Soundings Spring Series was cancelled. Fall is on life support. Most club level racing have no post race gatherings. In Florida some club races are strictly pursuit format. I don't really understand the improvement in Covid safety there but that's what it is. I guess we gotta due what we gotta do.
I have to admit in the racing I've done in Florida, I'm on board with people I don't know very well, I don't know who they've had contact with or how careful they are about hygiene. It's a concern for me.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
It seems to me, it's all about avoiding the after party. That's where the weak points will be. Maybe that's where the "pursuit" format could be effective.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Nov 8, 2010
It seems to me, it's all about avoiding the after party. That's where the weak points will be. Maybe that's where the "pursuit" format could be effective.

-Will (Dragonfly)
A pursuit race avoids the congestion of a mass start, but potentially creates (by definition) a mass finish. No better, actually worse.

In any case, a finish gathering is more of a problem than a start. The race over, the natural thing to do is to gather and talk about racing. WYC culture is built around that, but this year we ban it. So most races this year we don't go back to the dock, but drop anchor in a bay on the way back to the club and have a drink in our little pod.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 340 Baytown TX
GBCA has not been having their epic post race parties this year, but there has been a lot of racing on Clear Lake and Galveston Bay this year.
I have not been paying attention to any HMR news with my son’s wedding in two weeks, but I was kind of hoping to catch a ride this year, turned down several offers last year.
Didn’t sail in Rum Race #5 today, +30 knots and rain forecasted, didn’t happen. Also, Coast Guard requested boats stay in harbor because resources had been moved south to help with Hurricane Hanna response. Real curious to see if any boats did race today. I will update when I find out anything about today or the Harvest Moon.

Nov 8, 2010
GBCA has not been having their epic post race parties this year, but there has been a lot of racing on Clear Lake and Galveston Bay this year.
I have not been paying attention to any HMR news with my son’s wedding in two weeks, but I was kind of hoping to catch a ride this year, turned down several offers last year.
Didn’t sail in Rum Race #5 today, +30 knots and rain forecasted, didn’t happen. Also, Coast Guard requested boats stay in harbor because resources had been moved south to help with Hurricane Hanna response. Real curious to see if any boats did race today. I will update when I find out anything about today or the Harvest Moon.
For sure parties are done for this the year. After the HOOK race there was zero gathering.... boats were met by masked dock crew and allowed to moor, but no parties or socialization. The awards were done over VHF and a member of the crew came up to get the flag.

At WYC we have banned dock or club gatherings. Lots of boats now don't come back, but hang out on the water after the race.

My HMR skipper is on the OC for the race. Port A asked them not to come.

Nov 8, 2010
heard you a bit of a storm surge as well? A pic from the dock in front of JB’s guest/crew house on Clear Lake.

9F03FE5E-6628-4B26-B386-4267DC563F9F.jpeg

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 340 Baytown TX
5D54A9E9-1659-48D2-996F-C2230BEF996D.jpeg

At least three foot surge in this photo From Lakewood Yacht Club on Saturday. Ten boats turned in times for the Rum Race on Saturday, seven in my class. And only one for the Peanut Regatta on Sunday. Wind and rain on the bay were not really too bad either day, I stayed in for other reasons.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 340 Baytown TX
Ran across this online survey about this year’s HMR. Not sure when it was put out, if it’s new or several months old.

HMR