Harness tether came unclipped

srimes

Jun 9, 2020
Macgregor 26D Brookings
Went for a solo sail Saturday in rough conditions, making sure to wear my tether. At one point I looked down and saw it had come unclipped from my life vest :yikes:. I took it as a good reminder to not rely on it to catch me. Not sure how or when that happened.

I use the kong tether:

Just this morning I saw this article in my newsfeed:

The title says "tether snaps," but the article says:
"My tether snap shackle at the chest, for whatever reason, sending me into Lake Michigan in the middle of a thunderstorm "

I don't know what that means exactly. Did it break or open like mine did?

Anyone else experience the quick release tether shackle accidentally opening?

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
No, but I have not been heavy seas yet.

It would have been informative if they found the the harness Kong Clips fastened to a jack line and what condition the tether was in.

If you read the Label on the vest end, it has a limit in tension.

The wave size and your body profile can exceed that limit.

Answer: Don't go on deck in a big wave storm. Ride it out.
Jim...

PS: My tether clips to my chest harness, not the life vest. This hides the release pull under the vest to eliminate snag/release.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Look at the looped lanyard on that tether. Easy to pull as a quick release, and easy to snag on something, which is certainly what happened.

I would remove that and replace it with a knotted lanyard or a bobble. A loop, or any lanyard that is easily snagged, is a bad idea. I have a very short lanyard on my Wichard Proline. My other tethers have locking hooks on the harness end.

Personally, I have mixed feelings about quick release tethers, specifically for solo sailors, but that is a separate topic.

Last edited:

srimes

Jun 9, 2020
Macgregor 26D Brookings
I checked the lanyard. It's sewn flat so I doubt it caught anything. Maybe the ring snagged something?

20200811_180012.jpg

20200811_180039.jpg

Mar 26, 2011
No, but I have not been heavy seas yet.

It would have been informative if they found the the harness Kong Clips fastened to a jack line and what condition the tether was in.

If you read the Label on the vest end, it has a limit in tension.

The wave size and your body profile can exceed that limit.

Answer: Don't go on deck in a big wave storm. Ride it out.
Jim...

PS: My tether clips to my chest harness, not the life vest. This hides the release pull under the vest to eliminate snag/release.
Two problems here:

1. You can't always avoid going on deck. In fact, most of the documented tether breakages have been helmsman.
2. If you tether clips to the harness is such a way that the release is under the vest, it might as well be a non-releasable carabiner (which is allowed by World Sailing).

Unless I am mistaken, no modern tether (since the drop test was implemented ~ 10 years ago) has failed in tension. One has failed (Spinlock Race) because the clip was side loaded. Those clips are now out of production (but were not recalled, as they should have been). They are tested with a 100kg dummy; if you are much over that, like climbing equipment, the entire system must be scaled to match.

I don't believe there is a documented case of accifental release contributing to an accident. If there is please share. I'm sure it can happen, but I don't know if it has happened.

---

Should tether clips be releaseable? This has not been settled by the standards organizations. Personally, I don't care if it is quick release, but I think there should be a clip because it is easy to get tangled up and need to release and reclip.

srimes

Jun 9, 2020
Macgregor 26D Brookings
Two problems here:

1. You can't always avoid going on deck. In fact, most of the documented tether breakages have been helmsman.
2. If you tether clips to the harness is such a way that the release is under the vest, it might as well be a non-releasable carabiner (which is allowed by World Sailing).

Unless I am mistaken, no modern tether (since the drop test was implemented ~ 10 years ago) has failed in tension. One has failed (Spinlock Race) because the clip was side loaded. Those clips are now out of production (but were not recalled, as they should have been). They are tested with a 100kg dummy; if you are much over that, like climbing equipment, the entire system must be scaled to match.

I don't believe there is a documented case of accifental release contributing to an accident. If there is please share. I'm sure it can happen, but I don't know if it has happened.

---

Should tether clips be releaseable? This has not been settled by the standards organizations. Personally, I don't care if it is quick release, but I think there should be a clip because it is easy to get tangled up and need to release and reclip.
They've updated the article I linked in the first post:

"my tether snap shackle at the chest position, for whatever reason, opened which sent me off the boat and into Lake Michigan "
They also included a picture of the shackle with the caption "No damage detected to shackle."

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
The Wichard tether with a SS carbine hook on each end will not open accidentally. I personally would not trust a snap shackle on a tether. The spring-loaded plunger is a predictable point of failure, especially with a lanyard attached which can, and does, get caught occasionally to open snap shackles generally. If you’re going over dragging against the life lines, you could easily drag against that lanyard and open the shackle, etc.:( I don’t like ‘em on spinnaker halyards for the same reason.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
The alternative solution is to have a short, sharp, serrated-blade knife handy that can cut you free. Not one that must first be opened.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
In all my solo sailing, I have not been thrown off the boat, yet. :eek:

I fear the day it comes and try to imagine how to survive.

A tether is my tool of choice. My initial purchases have been with "snap shackles" attaching me to the tether. I have not liked the snap shackle for a couple of reasons.
  • First, it is bulky.
  • Second, can release accidentally.
  • Third, using snap shackles on sails I have found them difficult to release when under tension, and when released let go suddenly and fly around.
What other options are there?
  1. One can go with the carabiner like a mountain climber. Solid. Manual release by unscrewing the barrel that closes the link required.
  2. Tie onto the tether using a bit of line. Lighter in weight. Requires good knot thing skills/knowledge.
  3. Soft Shackle. Can be purchased or made (again those knot tying skills). light weight. Not releasable under tension. Easy to attach and unattach when not in tension. Can get lost. Low cost - high level breaking strength.
1597245222220.jpeg

I am leaning in the direction of the soft shackle. I'll be trying them out this next season. If I write about them again it will mean they worked.

Now how do you deal with an emergency release?
I am going with these on all of my PDF's...
1597244702950.png

At about $10 a piece they are an inexpensive, safe cutting tool designed to cut webbing (like a seatbelt). :biggrin:

Will work on the tether webbing or jack line webbing. With the blade shielded less likely I will cut myself as with a knife while dangling from the life lines.

Now for some practice time.:yikes:

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Now how do you deal with an emergency release?
I am going with these on all of my PDF's...
View attachment 183740
At about $10 a piece they are an inexpensive, safe cutting tool designed to cut webbing (like a seatbelt). :biggrin:

Will work on the tether webbing or jack line webbing. With the blade shielded less likely I will cut myself as with a knife while dangling from the life lines
I don’t know. The blade may rust if not SS. What happens if it does not cut through the on the first swipe? Do you have free it and try again? You may be confined to an “overhand” cut, it appears. With a knife you can cut overhand or underhand; whatever is best while you’re dragging/twisting alongside the boat, etc.:yikes:

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2011
option 4. The tethers are also available with three Kong Tango locking clips. No quick release, but easy to open. One of my tethers is set up that way and I like it.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
The kong idea is a nice one Drew.
I recently picked up a couple of Kong Tango Clips. I'll have to see.

The particular safety knife can be opened up and the blade replaced. Like everything you need to inspect and maintain your tools. I always carry a knife as well. Just not sure it will be as useful as the safety knife upside down hanging on the sides of the boat.

srimes

Jun 9, 2020
Macgregor 26D Brookings
The spinlock cutter is designed for the application:

I carry this knife:

I do like the kong tango's on the other ends of my tether. Maybe the quick release is more hazard than safety. Solo far offshore I wouldn't want it. I wasn't that far out and had a vhf and cell phone on me so the quick release may be best. Having to cut free could be difficult in some situations.

Mar 26, 2011
The left tether is a Wichard Proline prototype. I don't believe the quick release version is sold in the US yet. They aren't comfortable with the quick release concept.

The right is a test tether combining a Camp HS 903 (triple locking action--required for arborist competition tree climbing), Kong Tango, and Wichard Proclip. The rope is 8mm dynamic UIAA. The left is a Wichard Proline prototype (the retail version has three Proclips). It works because the spin shackle is top quality, but I'd be just as happy with three Proclips.

Last edited: