Harlem River

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 8, 2007
2 30 Sacketts harbor NY
I am planning a trip from Mystic Conn. to Lake Onterio in the spring and I was wondering if anyone out there has made that trip. The question: is the Harlem river an option for a Catalina 30 tall. Looked at charts, depth is fine and bridges are low but either swing or draw. does this save any time over going down east river to battery park and up the Hudson River--It looks like it would cut a bunch of distance but are the bridges reliable and do they all work. I have heard that it might not be worth the hassle. Thanks Steve

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
I fondly remember NYC

and remember those many bridges over the Harlem. I would think that either calling the bridges or checking the regs would tell you. I'd also venture a guess that they don't open during rush hour(s), which there could be almost all the time! :) Good luck, I'd love to know the answer. Stu

C

Chief

That is a great question. I live on the South Shore of LI and drive the Harlem River Drive on a regular basis. I have never seen any of the bridges open for a boat. The only boats I see pass under the bridges. I know they have been renovating many of the older Swing Bridges, so I guess they must be able to be opened. I would contact New York City, although I am not sure what agency. Even the Circle Line tour boats are able to pass under the bridges without them opening. Keep us posted on what you find out.

S

shell56xxx@aol.com

Harlem

The railroad bridges will not open for you. Do not go down the Harlem River!

Nov 2, 2007
- - Kingston
Mystic to Lake Ontario

I haven't done the trip, but was going to do so this Fall (perhaps with the boat you may have just purchased - GWII), but I did the research and talked to people who have done it. My initial thought was the same as yours - the Harlem River appeared to save time. However, if you wanted to get to the Erie Canal which I learned was advisable, with your mast up, the Harlem wasn't feasible. I found a very relevant document on the internet which gave very good advice about going from the Long Island Sound to the Hudson and north entitled "The sailing Life" at http://thesailinglife.blogspot.com/2006/10/one-more-year-under-belt.html The other 2 important documents you should obtain is the Hudson River Charts and "Cruising the New York Canal System" by Captain Bob (not me) which gives lots of very helpful hints. Tides, timing, and anchorage are apparently very important for this trip. Good luck & fine sailing. Bob.

Nov 2, 2007
- - Kingston
Mystic to Lake Ontario

I haven't done the trip, but was going to do so this Fall (perhaps with the boat you may have just purchased - GWII), but I did the research and talked to people who have done it. My initial thought was the same as yours - the Harlem River appeared to save time. However, if you wanted to get to the Erie Canal which I learned was advisable, with your mast up, the Harlem wasn't feasible. I found a very relevant document on the internet which gave very good advice about going from the Long Island Sound to the Hudson and north entitled "The sailing Life" at http://thesailinglife.blogspot.com/2006/10/one-more-year-under-belt.html The other 2 important documents you should obtain is the Hudson River Charts and "Cruising the New York Canal System" by Captain Bob (not me) which gives lots of very helpful hints. Tides, timing, and anchorage are apparently very important for this trip. Good luck & fine sailing. Bob.

Nov 2, 2007
- - Kingston
Time Estimate

Steve: Your estimate seems to be in line with mine. One other tip I was given by someone who has made the trip is to attach a large inflatable flotation ball to each end of the mast when traversing the locks. Apparently there is a lot of gyration when in the locks. Although the seller's version is slightly different than mine I thought it was a good boat and I'm sure it will serve you well. Keep in touch & if you need crew for the trip I would certainly be interested in doing it. Good luck & fine sailing. Bob.

Status
Not open for further replies.