Harken Jib Sail Furler

Jun 5, 2018
Beneteau 35S5 Buffalo, NY
Does anyone know how many warps you would put on a Harken Furler for a 35S5?

Thanks

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
The number of wraps will not be boat specific.
You could check the manual for your Harken furler but I believe the standard is to always have 3 -4 wraps remaining on the drum when the sail is completely furled including wrapping the sheets around the furler a few times.
I always wrap my sheets 3 turns around the furled sail and that leaves 3-4 wraps on the drum. I've done the same on Furlex and Schaffer furlers.
At the start of the season, if I took the furling line off of the drum, I put about 35 wraps on the drum, install the sail and furl the sail. If I too many or too little wraps on the drum I remove the sheets and add or remove wraps until I have 6 or 7 wraps. I put the sheets back on and furl until I have 3 wraps of the sheets and the drum should have 3-4 wraps of line.

Hope that helps

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Depends on a lot of factors, including how tight you roll the jib.

As @Ward H said, you always want to have a few wraps left on the drum when all furled and the jib sheets have made a few wraps around the sail to hold it tight.

Greg

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I have a couple wraps on the drum when the sail is furled with at least 3 wraps around the sail.

Harken recommends at least 2 or more wraps of the jibsheets around the sail and 2 wraps of the furler line on the drum.

I know some have no wraps. That is how they know the sail is furled with enough wrap of the sheets on the sail to hold it in place.

I’d follow the recommended procedure of your furler manual.

Jun 5, 2018
Depends on a lot of factors, including how tight you roll the jib.

As @Ward H said, you always want to have a few wraps left on the drum when all furled and the jib sheets have made a few wraps around the sail to hold it tight.

Greg
Helpful,
Thanks

Jun 5, 2018
I have a couple wraps on the drum when the sail is furled with at least 3 wraps around the sail.

Harken recommends at least 2 or more wraps of the jibsheets around the sail and 2 wraps of the furler line on the drum.

I know some have no wraps. That is how they know the sail is furled with enough wrap of the sheets on the sail to hold it in place.

I’d follow the recommended procedure of your furler manual.
Helpful,
Thanks

Sep 12, 2023
catalina 30 Glen Cove
Lost my shackle to the Harken MK1 Furling Jib that connects the drum to the tack. I known the diameter is 1/4 inch for the pin. I need to know the rest, Does anyone know
Thank you
Trinity

Attachments

JBP-PA

Apr 29, 2022
Jeanneau Tonic 23 Erie, PA
Ward is spot on except you don't have to figure it out every season. Just notice some reference when your sail is unfurled and use that each season. For example i know that if I have 2.5 ft of furling line left at the cleat before I attach the sail, the wraps will be correct (assuming the wraps are as tight as usual, sloppy wraps throw this off). You could also make a mark on the line if you like.