Hard tacking

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jerry

I have a 1993 26' Classic with wheel steering and a 150% genoa. I'm not very experienced. Recently we were on a port tack with 20+ knot winds, 2' to 3' waves. All sails were out and the centerboard was down. I cranked the wheel to port to tack and the boat slowly went to port but wouldn't even go into irons and eventually started going slowly to starboard. When I cranked the wheel starboard the boat eventually started going to port. This has happened one other time in much light winds. Another boat on the lake had the same problem that day. The sailer is more experienced but this was a new boat to him and it wasn't a MacGregor. By the way, the winds were coming from a direction that was unusual for this lake. Rather than get into trouble, I finally turned on the engine and powered out of the problem. So, what took place? What am I doing wrong? How can I overcome this problem? I've heard that MacGregors do sail a little differently when it comes to the weather helm. Thanks for your help.

S

Scott

good question

Good question!!! 20+ knots of wind? Did you have shortened sails? You weren't running the full 150% were you? A full 150 and that high of wind and a boat that small may have been giving you severe lee helm that you didn't feel because of the wheel and not a tiller?? If it happens again furl you genny to about 90% and see what happens, or bear off a bit then head up quick and tack with some speed. What type of ballast do you have? If water, were the tanks full...maybe you were just losing leeway(sliding sideways and not turning) It is very difficult to answer this question without having felt it.

C

Chris Baker

in irons

The clue maybe that your sails were 'out'. If you were sailing with the wind on the beam (90 deegrees to the boat) then the sails should be approx 45 degrees to the boat. If you try to come up into wind to tack the sails quickly become ineffective at this angle and your Macgregor, which is not very heavy, quickly loses momentum. The boat slows and once you are going less than a knot it begins to slide sideways (making leeway)instead of going forwards because the centerboard is very small compared to many keel boats. The result is that you have no speed of water over the rudder so it doesn't work and you will not be able to pass through the wind. Because you are pointing into the wind the boat starts moving backwards (you are in irons)and then the rudder starts having the opposite effect, just as you experienced. To correct this you should turn the wheel the opposite way and the boat should then turn onto the tack you require. However the best thing is never to get into this situation. If you are running downwind or have the wind on the beam pull in the sails as you come up into wind. This will keep the boat sailing fast and will let you turn through the wind with plenty of speed. The key to all this is to keep your speed up to have water flowing past the rudder. Forgive me if you know all this but I take the liberty of telling you this as you prefaced the article with 'not very experienced'. We were all there once. By the way at the official Macgregor site there is an article about sailing written by Macgregor himself, which does a good job discussing optimum sail position for sailing on different points of the wind. I hope this helps, Chris

F

Flip

Backing up

I ran into the same thing with my 26X on Lake Ontario. I suddenly realized that I was sailing backwards half way through the turn. I reversed my rudder and backed out of the turn thus completing the tack. Seemed strange at first but it works.

M

Mike

As below

I agree with what others have said here. Macs are light and do not have the weight to carry way throuh some maneuvers. If you loose speed before you are through the transition point of a tack (ie dead into the wind) and start to fall off, which will be increased by a large effective genoa, You'll find yourself going sideways and backwards. The trick is to fall off a little and point less into the wind, close haul, gain speed and momentum and then do your tack. Trailer sailors are light and many of the skills of the smaller, lighter boats are required. The best training I ever got for sailing my Mac was owning a Rhoades Penguin. Happy sailing, Mike

D

dan

Same HERE!

Hi Jerry..... Great advice everybody! I usually end up motoring out of the tack, so as to not loose forward ground. Have jibe turned downwind also(watch your head!). A VERY good reason to keep your motor connected to the rudders for emergencies. The speed seems to be the thing. If you have room start over and build up more speed to attemot the same tack. I run out of room on our Canyon type lakes out here. Nothing quite like sailing sideways or backwards happy tacking........dan

B

billy w

tacking woes

I have had my Mac about a year. Still learning its sailing characteristics. Have not experienced this particular problem in light or heavy air. I did have a little too much weather helm. I reduced mast rake and use different centerboard depths to offset weather.

Status
Not open for further replies.