Hard Starting Yanmar Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

Neil Russell

My Legend 35.5 has a Yanmar 3GM30F that has been extremely hard to start when the weather is cold. After much frustration I was led to a small company north of Seattle that manufactures an engine preheating device that works like a built in hair dryer. The cost was $350.00, it was easy to install (3.5 to 4 hours)and it works like a charm. Now the engine starts first time no matter the weather. The manufacturer was a Yanmar dealer for ten years and really knows the product.Send me a message if you want specifics. nrussell1@aol.com

T

Tim Bowers

Yanmar 2gmf

My old boat, a 29.5, had a 2gmf Yanmar engine that was extreamly hard to start during cold weather. My wife would hold a hair drier on the air intake to warm the air to make it easier to start, while it worked, I wasn't happy with the solution nor was my wife. I called Mack Boring, the Yanmar distributor in the mid-atlatic region, and they had all kinds of things for me to try and recomended that I buy the shop manual, which I did for about $45. While I was reading through it, the manual had a very small section on hard starting when very cold. Yanmar recommends moving the throttle to the wide open position because it advances the timing a bit. I tried this and it works! While it may not start as easy as yours, our engine would require about 3 cranks to get it going, it does work and required no modifications. You need to use caution when using this tecnique however, and reduce the throttle as soon as the engine catches, because you don't want to run any engine at wide open throttle when it is first started, especially a diesel . The funny thing is that the neither the dealer or the distributor knew anything about this cold weather starting tip from Yanmar and its not in your owners manual. It worked for me with our 29.5 and now that we have a 340 with a 3 gmf Yanmar engine, I'll give it a try. The boat is just being commissioned and hopefully, cold weather is over until late October.

B

Bryan C.

Glow plugs

I thought Yanmars have a glow plug which which is supposed to warm the cylinders.

P

Paul Akers

Glow Plugs?

Bryan, I was told at my diesel class that Yanmar doesn't use glow plugs for preheating. Instead, the engines are designed to start at very high compression (generates heat) when they start, thereby eliminating the need for glow plugs. Niel, a possible cause for your problem could be low compression not generating enough heat to ignite the fuel.

S

Scott

Hard start and glow plugs

the 30gmf does not have glow plugs! I also have a 340 with that engine and have found starting it witht the throttle advanced works great! AS the other guy said be sure to retard it to idle or as close to it as possible as soon as it starts. It might require a couple of starts but it does work. Scott

D

Doug Merrill

Cold Starting

Another cold weather starting tip I have used on both a Yanmar 2GM and a 3JH. Pull out the stop knob and crank the engine for about 10 to 15 seconds. Wait a few minutes and start normally. Doug Merrill s/v Dream Catcher

Status
Not open for further replies.