Halyard Rigging problem / looking for rigging person in the Morehead NC area any suggestions or Contact info?

Jul 5, 2024
FP Helia 44 Panama city beach
My delivery Captain has reported problems with the core coming out of the Halyard line and causing problems & concerns.

Looking for a contact in the area with the experience to repair ?
Boats heading to Annapolis for the summer. But currently just pulling into Morehead N.C. (Portside marina) trying to get repaired ASAP.

Appreciate
Jim

RitSim

Jan 29, 2018
Beneteau 411 Branford
if the halyard has not completely broken you can use it as a messenger line for a new halyard. However, the sheaves at the top of the mast may be "toast". If you take your mast down in the winter, then you may be able to complete the sailing season with the new halyard. Do you know the mast manufacturer? They can help you as to the exact mast top plate and its required parts.

Hard to figure out how the core got damaged and not the cover except for an overload.

Jul 5, 2024
Appreciate the response. The Sheaving has slipped and the core is still attached. The sheaving is in the mast and I need someone to go up and work the line. Once that's accomplished then cut and repair the line. I am in AZ and my delivery captains on the boat in Morehead NC.
I am getting this information via him.
Bottom line, I am looking for a rigger in the area to get this done.

Jim

• Helpful
May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
You're probably not going to find anything open until Monday. Recommend your delivery captain talk to the harbor master to determine options. Welcome to the forum! :beer:

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
Do you mean sheathing, instead of sheaving? Sheaves are the pullies that the halyards run over. It sounds like the cover, or sheathing of your halyard has gotten stripped from the core. It happens. Polyester covers over dyneema halyards are often only left on in the sections that are handled by crew or out in the sun. The covers are stripped off the dyneema cores on the top sections of the halyard to save weight. The cover is supposed to be sewn to the core to keep it from slipping off, but sometimes the threads get worn or broken and the cover slips and bunches up. This seems to be what has happened to your delivery skipper. The cover can usually be worked out, or off the dyneema halyard by pulling the line up and down, "milking" the cover off the core. This leaves the dyneema core intact, as you suggest it is in your post #3. It is fine to use, simply not as comfortable in the hands because it is thinner. Dyneema halyards are typically two or three times as strong as they need to be, so if the cover can be removed from the line the delivery skipper should be able to continue his trip. The fix would be to replace the halyard with a new line - not a big deal. The head shackle could even be tied on with a knot if the delivery skipper wasn't up on his splicing. Why is a rigger required to clear up this problem? Is the delivery skipper worried that the sheaves are wearing or chafing the lines too much and causing this cover slippage? That would be a concern, but not likely.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
I'm curious why the delivery captain piled this issue on you when you're on the other side of the country and he's on the boat in marina that probably has a sailing supply somewhere nearby. My response would be to ask him to take care of it he can't proceed with the existing halyard, or include it in his final report to you. I mean, he is supposed to be an expert, right? It occurs to me that he's probably running the motor most of the time, because that's what delivery skippers do 'cause they're usually by themselves, in a hurry, and don't want to mess around with sails. Remember, it's a job for them, time is money, they're not on a sailing holiday. Replacing a halyard is not complicated nor time consuming. Did he say ALL the halyards are bad, or just one in particular? Did he do an inspection before taking possession of the boat? Even more important, did you? Good Luck.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Oriental NC is considered the sailboat capital in North Carolina. Call either Deatons Yacht Sales, former Hunter dealer, or Triton Yacht Sales, currently Catalina Dealer, both located in Oriental should help you or advise. The third one in Oriental is Sailcraft Servic who used to do a lot of sail service too. It is about an hour drive between Oriental and Morehead City. The three mentioned are recommended.
Former sailboat dealer in North Carolina but now retired

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Oriental NC is considered the sailboat capital in North Carolina. Call either Deatons Yacht Sales, former Hunter dealer, or Triton Yacht Sales, currently Catalina Dealer, both located in Oriental should help you or advise. The third one in Oriental is Sailcraft Servic who used to do a lot of sail service too. It is about an hour drive between Oriental and Morehead City. The three mentioned are recommended.
Former sailboat dealer in North Carolina but now retired
Deaton's is now run (owned by?) Zimmerman's.

• Wow
Jul 5, 2024
Yes "sheathing is what I meant"
Appreciate the feed back from all, My delivery captain has come up with a temp fix. But, I have tracked down someone to inspect the problem and possibly do a repair!

Appreciate everyone!
Jim