Haitian refugee boat runs aground in FL

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Perhaps they were looking for a Golf Course to play or maybe some fresh Conch...

• Ha

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
No, "feet dry" policy for Haitians. I've always wondered if it had to do with their color.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
No, "feet dry" policy for Haitians. I've always wondered if it had to do with their color.
For some, maybe. It probably has more to do with the numbers and the method and their desperation. The Irish were once treated like that, as well as Polish immigrants, and anyone else who seemed to come in dense numbers and forced the current residence to accommodate the needy. It's inconvenient to people, even if the only way it touches their lives it by seeing it on the news. It gives them something to blame their woes on and allows them to be self-righteous. The fact that there is an easily recognized visual distinction between "them" and "us" makes it that much easier. It's too bad there are still so many who fail to understand the true meaning of brotherhood of Man (not to mean anything political by putting this in sexist terms :facepalm:).

-Will

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Prob has more to do with Cold War politics than ethnicity

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Cedar Creek, Bayville NJ
Why is this in the Ask All Sailors forum?

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
I moved this here because it has taken a turn away from the nautical aspects of the story. It's winter so the thread will remain open but a warning: when you start talking about voting, political parties, etc., your post will be deleted and we get grumpy when we have to do that.