H450 dinghy stowage

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I am acquiring a new 2000 H450 and am interested in advice concerning the choice between hanging a dinghy with stern davits or stowing a dinghy on the foredeck or in the stern lazerette. I also intend to install on the stern a wind generator, outboard motor hoist and mount, and a Dish TV antenna with tracking motor (if I can find an acceptable one) for use at anchor so there will be a lot of hardware on the stern. I will be coastal cruising for a year and, perhaps, ocean cruising thereafter.

J

John Van Stone

Dingy on 450

One year after buying my 450 I installed Davitts on the back. It was on of the best moves I made. This should not prevent you from installing a wind generator. I don't think you would need a outboard lift if you have davitts. Our Sat tv dish is portable and mounts with suction cups on the deck. This works out very well. We take in in when ever we sail.

R

robert shelby

mine is on the foredeck

right now I use the foredeck but it makes the foward stateroom dark and not much air can get in. just called about davits and will put them on in a year or so. the sat dish is a good idea but at anchor the 450 turns like a race horse. I wonder can anything can track a sat.

R

Robert Polk

Try an inflatable.

We have a 460 and have an inflatable 10' 2" Zodiak air floor 60 pound dingy that we keep below between trips. Use an A/C electric pump to inflate it when we arrive at our first destination. We have a Garhauer rig to lower and raise the 8 HP motor on the dink. Then we tow the rig for the rest of our trip with the motor removed. Very easy to handle and keeps the stern clear for visibility and access. Can also pull the dink onto the foredeck and turn it over for long or rough legs.

A

Anne Castleberg

Back steps

For two years we have usee the davit clips that glue to the side of the dingy, available from West Marine. We had a special stainless steel plates install on the outside and just under the lower swim step to attach to boat side part of the system. Initially we put them on the top of the step but they were toe catchers in that location. This system has worked really well for us. Up until now we have had a 10' 12 year old Avon with roll up floor boards and an old 8hp outboard that we stow on the rail. Now we have purchased a new dingy, Apex 10' Light. The next thing will be a new outboard. In Calif 4stroke is the only option which are much heavier, so we are considering a davit system. For now we are going with the clip on, the dingy lifts up and rides against the swim steps on the back of the boat. We would appreciate comments re davit systems on H450? Do they interfere with getting on or off the back of the boat??

Status
Not open for further replies.