H41AC fuel level gauge just packed up!

Dec 15, 2017
Hunter Legend 41AC Portsmouth
Hi all,

Today the multi function gauge on our H41AC (Snake river?) has decided that it will show we have no diesel fuel in the main tank when in reality we have 3/4. This was working fine yesterday but not now and nothing has changed.

So, is there any way to test the sender unit in the tank as it looks like there is a multifunction plug to connect and disconnect the sender and I have unplugged and replugged a few times to no avail.

When I turn the gauge off and then back on it shows the correct level for about 30 seconds and then displays empty.

Can I repair this or better just buying a normal gauge and sender?

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Those have been the subject of many threads. Bottom line is that they don't work very well. A search of threads will discover suggestions to deal with it.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
These are electrical signals being sent from the tank sensor to the gauge.
First check is to inspect and clean all the connections. Remove corrosion

Dec 15, 2017
Thanks and have cleaned up the connections and reconnected and still no change, thinking it may be time to fit a normal fuel level gauge and sender.

Dec 15, 2017
Looked. Inside the tank at the sender and it is just a metal tube, no float thing that could move up and down on the metal tube. Is this correct?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
no float thing that could move up and down on the metal tube. Is this correct?
There are several different designs.

Wema ( now Kus) have a donut like float around a tube.
1603765106744.jpeg

There are others like VDO which are tubes with interior floats.

It is best to identify the sensor rather than guess.

Mar 17, 2020
Hunter 306 North Vancouver
I resolved the sender malfunction by calibrating both the sender and monitor. Take a look at Hunter fuel monitor. I don't know if the calibration works for you but I think it's worth a try.