H380 Head hose replacement

Jan_H

Aug 17, 2009
2 26 Midland
The manual Jabsco toilet on my H380 had been difficult to pump since I purchased the boat last year. Since I wanted to replace the manual toilet with an electric one which had the option to use either a 1” or 1.5” waste hose, I had to decide whether to use the existing 1.5” hose or run a new 1” hose, and in which case where to route this. After removing the seat and wet locker in the aft cabin, the existing hose route became clear, running astern behind the port cabinetry and then up around the port side of the waste tank into an elbow near the top of the aft tank side. The hose had a good kink where it passed through the bulkhead and a low section right after this. This is poor routing since it means there was always over a gallon of waste water sitting in the hose between the head and the tank.
1000005540.jpg 1000005597.jpg

I decided to run a new 1” waste hose behind the wet locker into the space beside the hull-deck joint (being careful to miss the electrical conduit in there) and hence aft to the top of the waste tank. This provides a fairly smooth hose run to an elevation about 4’ above the toilet followed by a continuous downward slope towards the waste tank. The existing 1.5” hose was cut about 18” from where it enters the tank, and the 1” hose (15’) connected to this with a PVC reducer over the top of the tank. This arrangement works very well, with the toilet macerator having no problem emptying the bowl. It also means there is only about a pint of waste water sitting in the hose, and this should be mostly fresh water from the flush.
1000005598.jpg 1000005667.jpg