H380, 376, 37.5 - House Battery Bank Survey

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Marty

H380, 376, and 37.5 owners, I'm curious as to what house battery capacity you have and what configuration you are using (i.e. 2 4Ds, 2 golf cart, etc). I'm thinking about increasing the capacity on my 380 and wanted to get an idea of what other people have done. Thanks, Marty

D

Doug Merrill

Batteries

4 Golf cart batteries on my 376 Doug Merrill s/v Dream Catcher

T

Tony Wilcox

Batteries

I have 4 6volt golf cars batteries on my 376. I altered the size of the charger compartment and all 4 fit where the original battery was installed. Tony Wilcox

J

Jack Pavesich

Batteries

We have four 105 amp agm batteries for our house bank. They are located under the most center part of the port settee. The starting battery is in the bilge.

J

Jim Ewing

Batteries 37.5

On my 37.5 I have a Group 30 maintenance free dual purpose for starting (It's always off line, mostly as an emergency start/power source). The house bank is 4 Exide group 27 deep cycle batteries (105 AH each). I went with smaller batteries for ease of handling and redundancy. Jim "Propsect"

M

Mike O'Toole

376 Batteries

I installed two 200ah AGM batteries as house system and one 100 ah AGM battery as the starter battery on my 376. I also installed a Link 10 battery monitor to keep track of the house system.

B

Bryan C.

Need to determine your need

How much capacity you need depends upon your needs; the banks other people use may not be much of a guide. For example, if you want to have a fridge running all day, your batt needs are going to be different that if you do not. Also, if you are just overnighting, your needs will be different than if you plan on week long cruises. Generally, according to the experts you want at least 2x, preferably 3x your daily amp hour usage.

P

Phil Rains

Tony...how did you alter?

Tony, I'd be interrested in exactly how you altered the space. I ended up putting two 6V in the existing space and two more under the starbord setee. I wanted to make them all fit in the original space and just couldn't figure out how to do it without major construction. Can't say enough good things about the 4 golf cart 6v.

P

Paul Bednarzyk

House batteries

Bryan it the nail on the head. With our refrigeration running (12V Grunert with water cooling), our average daily consumption is between 90 and 110 amp-hrs per day. For us 4 6V golf batteries perform admirably. When upgrading your battery capacity, don't forget to upgrade your ability to charge the batteries while away from the dock, either with a larger alternator, solar panels, wind generator, or genset. My solution was a 100 amp Balmar with external regulator. Also a monitor system has proven invaluable (Link 2000). Paul Bednarzyk S/V Knot Again

T

Tony Wilcox

Phil Rains

Phil. I made the charger compartment smaller by turning the charger round so it sat across the beam. Batteries all together and held down with tie downs, batteries not in a battery box but contained in a heavy duty plastic envelope that will contain any leakage if I heel to far!! Had to use reg nuts on terminals on two forward batteries instead of the wing nuts that were too high. Hope this helps Tony Wilcox "Innovator"

J

John F

Batteries 376

I moved my charger to the hanging locker in the v-berth, then installed two 27's and a 4-D battery in the space under the port salon seat. The starting battery was already there. I also installed a Ferris 100 ah alternator, a three step regulator and a link 10 monitor. With the refer in the summer, I use about 80 ah per day

Status
Not open for further replies.