H37C - New Windlass, Chain weight Concern

Aug 17, 2022
Hunter 37 Cherubini Seward
I am installing a new windlass on Somniatis II. I'm planning to run the chain through a hawse pipe down to the forward compartment (installing a drain for this also). Does anyone have this setup? And if so, any concerns about 1200 lbs of 5/16" chain down there (275 ft)? I saw Dave Simpson's installation and really like this idea. Open to any all thoughts.

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
I would have great concerns of putting 1,200 lbs of anything that far forward in a 37’ boat. At minimum it will certainly affect your sailing performance. However from the chart below it shows 5/16” G43 galvanized chain at 1.10 lb/ft. So for 275’ that works out to just over 300lbs plus the weight of the anchor.
What am I missing?
West Marine - Weight per foot
Our ground tackle in our 33’ Hunter consists of 200’ of 5/16” G43 chain and 250’ of 1/2” line with a 15kg Mansion Supreme anchor and Mantus bridle. I have anchored 100s of times over the past 12 years in the PNW up to Cape Caution and can only remember tying off on the anchor line twice. Both in Desolation Sound in forecasted +20kt winds and in an open anchorage. It will be rare that you have the luxury of letting out more than a scope of 5 to 1 in the crowded anchorages you will visit, unless in the off season. So 275’ of chain and a minimum of 300’ of stern tie will be more than sufficient to meet your anchoring needs in your PNW cruising grounds.

Jun 8, 2004
C&C Frigate 36 St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia
On my H37C I had 175' of 3/8" BBB in that 'chain locker' under the v-berth and a Simpson Lawrence 1500 windlass in the 'anchor locker' on deck...no issues as far as I could tell. I had the chain directed the locker below the level of the V-berth. This necessitated cutting a hole. I may have some photos somewhere. I'll look.

Aug 17, 2022
I would have great concerns of putting 1,200 lbs of anything that far forward in a 37’ boat. At minimum it will certainly affect your sailing performance. However from the chart below it shows 5/16” G43 galvanized chain at 1.10 lb/ft. So for 275’ that works out to just over 300lbs plus the weight of the anchor.
What am I missing?
West Marine - Weight per foot
Our ground tackle in our 33’ Hunter consists of 200’ of 5/16” G43 chain and 250’ of 1/2” line with a 15kg Mansion Supreme anchor and Mantus bridle. I have anchored 100s of times over the past 12 years in the PNW up to Cape Caution and can only remember tying off on the anchor line twice. Both in Desolation Sound in forecasted +20kt winds and in an open anchorage. It will be rare that you have the luxury of letting out more than a scope of 5 to 1 in the crowded anchorages you will visit, unless in the off season. So 275’ of chain and a minimum of 300’ of stern tie will be more than sufficient to meet your anchoring needs in your PNW cruising grounds.
I must have accidentally looked at 3/8 or 1/2 when I got the weight per foot. Thanks for the clarification.

Aug 17, 2022
On my H37C I had 175' of 3/8" BBB in that 'chain locker' under the v-berth and a Simpson Lawrence 1500 windlass in the 'anchor locker' on deck...no issues as far as I could tell. I had the chain directed the locker below the level of the V-berth. This necessitated cutting a hole. I may have some photos somewhere. I'll look.
Thanks Jim, no hurry, probably won't get to it for a few more weeks. That is exactly what I had in mind. Did you put a drain in that compartment?

Jun 8, 2004
Yes, I installed a 1/2" thru-hull in the aft bulkhead at the bottom of the locker and attached a hose that ran all the way back to the main bilge sump (where the electric bilge pump is). Two things to watch for: how the chain falls into the locker may lead to castling (mounding up); muddy chain leads to odors and can hasten rusting - a good washdown pump with a short hose and nozzle on the foredeck is your friend!

Can't find the pictures of my windlass installation at the moment. The windlass was mounted in the stock anchor locker (it was a horizontal windlass, so it fit under the cover and was out of the weather). The chain originally fell from the windless into the compartment below, which is actually part of the same surface as the V-berth. Chain castling and water draining were both problems, so I cut a triangular hole in that surface to allow the chain to fall into the compartment below (forward of the one with the big, square cover). This was the compartment I fitted with a drain and a padeye to secure the bitter end of the anchor chain. I installed a washdown pump that was fed from the same thru-hull as the head inlet and plumbed a line to a valve in the anchor locker. To this I attached a self-coiling hose with a a garden nozzle. Sure beat buckets of water and a scrub brush!

Aug 17, 2022
Yes, I installed a 1/2" thru-hull in the aft bulkhead at the bottom of the locker and attached a hose that ran all the way back to the main bilge sump (where the electric bilge pump is). Two things to watch for: how the chain falls into the locker may lead to castling (mounding up); muddy chain leads to odors and can hasten rusting - a good washdown pump with a short hose and nozzle on the foredeck is your friend!

Can't find the pictures of my windlass installation at the moment. The windlass was mounted in the stock anchor locker (it was a horizontal windlass, so it fit under the cover and was out of the weather). The chain originally fell from the windless into the compartment below, which is actually part of the same surface as the V-berth. Chain castling and water draining were both problems, so I cut a triangular hole in that surface to allow the chain to fall into the compartment below (forward of the one with the big, square cover). This was the compartment I fitted with a drain and a padeye to secure the bitter end of the anchor chain. I installed a washdown pump that was fed from the same thru-hull as the head inlet and plumbed a line to a valve in the anchor locker. To this I attached a self-coiling hose with a a garden nozzle. Sure beat buckets of water and a scrub brush!
Awesome detail Jim. Thanks so much. You have described exactly what I was thinking about. Did you mount the wash down pump in the old anchor locker or in the forward compartment?
Yes, castling is one of the things I'm most concerned about and the need to get in there frequently to correct the situation.

Jun 8, 2004
Awesome detail Jim. Thanks so much. You have described exactly what I was thinking about. Did you mount the wash down pump in the old anchor locker or in the forward compartment?
Yes, castling is one of the things I'm most concerned about and the need to get in there frequently to correct the situation.
I mounted a Shurflo diaphragm pump on the forward side of the bulkhead for the hanging locker. I ran a hose to a faucet mounted in the anchor locker. I attached one of the 'curly-cue' garden hoses with a spray nozzle.