H37 Cutter mast

Jun 8, 2004
C&C Frigate 36 St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia
I posted this long ago, but there have been a lot of new owners join since then...
As most of you know, if you own an older boat and lose (break) the mast, chances are good that insurance will write off your boat since the cost of a new mast often exceeds the assessed value of the whole boat. I lost my 1983 Hunter 37 Cutter in 2019 when she went ashore in Hurricane Dorian. The hulk was eventually broken up by the boat yard, where she was placed after salvage by crane. The Kenyon mast, including an almost new Harken furler, was in perfect condition. I was by that yard yesterday and the spar is still in their mast rack. I'm not sure if the cutter boom is still around. If anyone has the misfortune to need an H37C spar, contact Shining Waters Marine, in Tantallon, Nova Scotia, Canada. (Don't contact me; its not mine to sell.) Boat hauling trucks will usually add a mast to their load relatively cheaply, if the stars align and they're going your way. I just thought I would broadcast this here, in case someone needs a mast.

Jun 18, 2006
hunter Cherubini Hunter 37 cutter Cocoa Beach
I have just purchased Jolly Roger a 1985 37 cutter. She has the original Hank on and I'm hunting for a roller Furler. Thank you so much for your post as I will be calling them as soon as possible!

Jul 27, 2022
Hunter Cutter 37 Philadelphia
The Pro Furl is on the less expensive side and has served Alpha for 20+ years without an issue.

In replacing the rigging, I looked carefully at the Profurl and found no issues. I have worked with rigging on radio towers.

The more expensive furlers are possibly better, but I have no complaints on the ProFurl I use.

Jun 18, 2006
hunter Cherubini Hunter 37 cutter Cocoa Beach
The Pro Furl is on the less expensive side and has served Alpha for 20+ years without an issue.

In replacing the rigging, I looked carefully at the Profurl and found no issues. I have worked with rigging on radio towers.

The more expensive furlers are possibly better, but I have no complaints on the ProFurl I use.
I've just decided to stay with the Yankee and Hank on Arrangement until I've sailed her a bit.