H36 Boom Vang Attachment to Boom

Aug 10, 2010
Hunter 36, Quarter Berth Model Placid Harbor, Cuckold Crk, Patuxent River
Happy Thanksgiving,
So last summer I "built" a soft boom vang for our '82 H36. I attached it to the boom temporarily with a strap to test functionality. Seems to work rather well, so I am now contemplating a more permanent attachment point. Rig Rite sells an internal boom bail for the Kenyon 3756 Boom...last year it was $79 and I thought that was pricey, now it's $140. So my cheap side is kicking in and am wondering if a standard boom bail (externally mounted similar to what is used for the main sheets) would be just as effective, strong, etc. Rig Rite wants $120 for those, but Defender has a similar sized version for about $43 - which seems rather reasonable. (Ronstan RF1048 - should fit this particular boom size). I realize the main sheet is attached to the boom using these external bails but there are three of them, so I presume that spreads the load accordingly. Any opinions on if a single external bail would be prudent for a boom vang? It's location is much closer to the mast, so the forces I think would be the much higher...but I'm no mechanical engineer. Thoughts?

Attachments

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
Well, if you were to shift gears and go with a solid vang, I'd suggest that you contact Garhauer. Their vang kit comes with plates formed specifically for your mast and boom. Probably $450-$550. Nothing like a solid vang...

Aug 10, 2010
Thanks sailme88 - I think I'll stick with this setup for now, but I appreciate the Garhauer hint - I didn't think to check their site (and I have a lot of Garhuer gear...) - their similarly sized boom bail is only $18 - super bargain! But I'll also check out their other attachment options.

Jun 8, 2004
C&C Frigate 36 St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia
I used a bail like the Ronstan one pictured for a four-part vang on my H37C. Worked fine. I have a solid vang on my current boat. I like it better.

Aug 10, 2010
Thank Jim - sounds good. Rigid vang seems like a nice upgrade...of course there are lots of things on my "upgrade list"...Considering this boat never had any type of vang, I'll try to get used to using this one and see how life is with it.

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
Thank Jim - sounds good. Rigid vang seems like a nice upgrade...of course there are lots of things on my "upgrade list"...Considering this boat never had any type of vang, I'll try to get used to using this one and see how life is with it.
If you do much sailing on a reach, there is nothing like a solid vang. This is especially true in light air as the boom is pushed up and allows for better sail shape that a straight line vang.

Jun 8, 2004
C&C Frigate 36 St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia
If you do much sailing on a reach, there is nothing like a solid vang. This is especially true in light air as the boom is pushed up and allows for better sail shape that a straight line vang.
True, but you can still shape the main with a combination of a traditional purchase vang and the topping lift. I just find a solid vang more convenient. For one thing, it allows me to remove the topping lift while sailing so that I don't worry about adjusting it underway and there's no scramble to put it back on before lowering the main. But there are also times sailing off the wind when its great to have a traditional purchase vang that you can clip on the lee toe rail as a sort of vang/preventer.

Aug 10, 2010
Copy all - thanks, interesting information. I think I'l try it with the Garhauer Bale and see how it works out. Perhaps once my other projects are done and I really like the vang, I'll upgrade to a solid version. I presume I could remove my topic lift altogether if that were the case, correct? It's a fixed length so not much help once the sail is hoisted...

May 31, 2007
Hunter 37 cutter Blind River
You might also consider a boom brake. Can do the same job as a vang but also control jibes, hold the boom still for sail flaking etc. and in rolly anchorages.

Jun 5, 2010
Hunter 25 Burlington NJ
Re: purchasing habits -

I’m sorry if I admit this but I am often amused by thought processes on here. Most often the simplest and most complex issues get mixed up!

Chichiflys, you went to Rigrite really quickly. Then you went to Garhauer. Consider: Rigrite is deliberately overpriced on everything because they list stuff by OEM number which matches what the boat was built with, and is now out of production, and they know parts buyers are squeamish about using something different. Then, when buyers go to something different, they buy on price; and so they buy Garhauer which leaves a huge gap in price and quality between the two extremes.

If your Hunter was built between 1974 and about 1988, it included Gibb and Lewmar winches, Kenyon spars and hardware, and Schaefer almost everything else. Why do you not look at the Schaefer site for hardware? It’s expensive (but way less than at Rigrite), but they also provide ALL the specs you need to match up its capabilities and sizes with something aftermarket.

Even better, if your boat is less than 40 or 44 ft, go to DAMCo aka Dwyer Aluminum Mast Co, and get first-class spar fittings at a very good price - and stop overthinking. DAMCo are very good about answering questions since someone called Dwyer will answer the phone.

And then, armed with adequate information, go look on eBay. It’s bargains galore. Be wary of anything broken or bent, investigate returns, ask questions of the buyer, and do your homework - match what you see to what you have learned. Then pay 20% the cost of a new one for a part that’s less old and less abused than the rest of your boat is now.

I’ve been known as an expert-level parts-selection tech in the yachting industry since the 1970s. Just ask me! :)

FYI - I’ve answered the question about vang location before - the short answer is to make it a 45-degree angle between boom, at its usual sailing elevation, and mast. That’s the only mechanically correct place for it.

I’ve also commented about the detriments to rigid vangs as well - the short answer is that they’re not for sailing better; they’re for convenience; and, if your mainsheet is less than 75% of the boom length from the mast, it’s probably not even necessary. An adjustable topping lift is the best answer for versatility and convenience.

Aug 10, 2010
DoB,
Thank you for the reply. Yes, went to Rigrite because they are the only people that carry the stock spar parts, and as you reiterated, they are overpriced. I also went to other vendors before Garhauer, including Schaefer (who does not seem to offer a boom bail of the appropriate size) and Ronstan, etc. To be honest I was never impressed with the build quality of the Schaffer gear that is stock on this boat. I replaced a good bit of that with Garhauer products (many blocks, the traveler, etc) and have been pleased. A boom bale is a very simple item. Garhauer’s price seems very reasonable For what these are. So with the part in hand I’ll try it out. It is Slightly undersized compared to the Kenyon bales that are already on the boom, but at 1/5 the price I am sure they are not 1/5 the quality. However, thank you for the Dwyer recommendation, it it would seem they too don’t appear to offer boom products that match the size of a Kenyon 3756 spar. Bargains on EBay are few and far between in my experience of late; I’ve been burned a few times and frankly it would need to be a last resort thing for me. And for what it’s worth, I’ve been known as an over thinker in all things since 1970! The devil is in the details.

Last edited: