H34 Lazy jacks

Feb 26, 2009
Oday 30 Anchor Yacht Club, Bristol PA
Just two questions basically how high? and how much quarter inch line I'm thinking about 200 ft Better too much than too little,

Eventually I hope to have a stack pack but I've had lazy jacks before and I know how to use them, don't hate them!

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
How high..........attach the cheek block (A) at a height corresponding to 75% (3/4) of the total mast height Lazy Jack Manual.cdr (nautos.com.br)

How long........ SailRite and Nautos specify 215 ft OR see this article DIY Lazy-jacks: Mainsail Tamers - Good Old Boat for recommendations on line options, length and where to install the blocks on the mast.

DIY articles: How To Make Lazy Jacks Easy To Use | The Boat Galley and DIY Lazy-jacks: Mainsail Tamers - Good Old Boat

You probably already knew tat you can purchase a kit from Schaefer for $470 Lazy Jack Kit for boats to 36' 99-63 [99-63] - $470.00 : Schaefer Marine, Inc. SailRite for $254 Lazy Jack System (4-Leg) – Boats 32'-38' - Sailrite Harken for $475 HARKEN Lazy Jack Systems | West Marine and Nautos for $227 (1) 002R- LAZY JACK SYSTEM B - MEDIUM SIZE- WITH ROPE INCLUDED | Nautos-u (nautos-usa.com)

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2009
So you're doing the same research I did you don't actually know how high, I don't happen to have a 50 ft tape measure at the time this is why I'm asking! Yeah $470 for a handful of blocks that you can buy for less than a hundred but if you want to buy them and send them to me I'd be very happy to accept the gift!!

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
SailRite rope formula: 2.75 x P (P is the distance between the gooseneck to the top mast) x 2 OR use SailRite's and Nautos's specification of 215 ft plus a margin. Nautos kit is the lowest cost at $227.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I installed a Mack pack on my O’Day 322…cheek blocks on the mast above the spreaders (3/4 of the way up is a good guest-I-mate). On my Mack Pack, they use 3 different ropes, progressively smaller as you move aft.

I don’t know what the length of the ropes are though.

Greg

Feb 26, 2009
I just happened to see a sailrite ad for lazy jacks, they just came out with a set that would work with our boats and it's affordable, about half the price of Harken!

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
I designed and installed mine on my H30. One thing I did not account for is when I bring them down to out the cover on I anticipated hooking them on the reek hook at the goose neck then tighten them up. This left a bunch of loose line along the boom.