H34 Keel Work

Nov 13, 2020
Hunter H34 Chesapeake Bay
I'm looking at an H34 to purchase and the owner mentioned some special keel work that was done by a previous owner. Below is what he said and a picture of it. Is this out of the norm that I should be concerned about or just someone being precautious? I plan to get a surveyor if this isn't a red flag.

Thanks,
John

"It was described to me as three coats of West Systems epoxy barrier coat, applied as a moisture barrier to keep the iron keel dry and reduce any chance of blistering below the water line. There’s no evidence of glass or other buildup materials having been used, you can still faintly make out where the joint is. You would sand through that layer if you were going to drop the keel, but it wouldn’t be much of an impediment in a job of that scale."

1616632930311.png

Jan 24, 2017
Hunter 34 Toms River Nj
looks good to me.

I’ve had my h34 for 38 years now had it sand blasted 20 years ago.
Primer steel cote, epoxy barrier cote, then bottom paint it’s held up pretty well over the years. Nothing horrendous to have to touch up every seasonal haul out. A few spots need to be dealt with every season, basically sand down to bare steel the prime and repaint with bottom paint. Keel joint is most important area that I inspect every year.
Keep it sealed with a good sealant and check the keel bolts. Don’t bother to fare with any compounds, they usually will develop hair line cracks due the slightest flexing and water infiltration will cause it to be redone every time. I’ve used a good flexible sealant and has been fine for many years.

hope this helps

Jan 5, 2018
Hunter H34 0828 New Orleans
That’s one sweet looking iron keel! Wish mine looked that nice!!

Nov 13, 2020
Hunter H34 Chesapeake Bay
looks good to me.

I’ve had my h34 for 38 years now had it sand blasted 20 years ago.
Primer steel cote, epoxy barrier cote, then bottom paint it’s held up pretty well over the years. Nothing horrendous to have to touch up every seasonal haul out. A few spots need to be dealt with every season, basically sand down to bare steel the prime and repaint with bottom paint. Keel joint is most important area that I inspect every year.
Keep it sealed with a good sealant and check the keel bolts. Don’t bother to fare with any compounds, they usually will develop hair line cracks due the slightest flexing and water infiltration will cause it to be redone every time. I’ve used a good flexible sealant and has been fine for many years.

hope this helps
Thanks much Capt.

Jan 5, 2018
Hunter H34 0828 New Orleans
I think you're looking at a great looking iron keel without the signature "Hunter Smile." Lucky you!!