H34 A/C The final fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

John K Kudera

The final fit of our A/C unit involved the installation of the Mermaid device that sucks the condensate from the drip tray. I mounted the unit on the new foreward bulkhead, according to the instructions,made the connections for the water in and out,allowing some slack so the unit can be unbolted and pulled out for service if needed. The electric box fits under the chart table in what was the small storage area. I fit all the wires to it then screwed the mount to the bulkhead.A tight fit, but its all in there. Ducts are run thru the new bulkhead, the bulkhead into the area behind the setee cushions,one aft one foreward in the main cabin,up thru the storage bins and exiting on the shelf above.A second duct was run into the aft cabin.I would have hoped for a fourth outlet, however, there simply is no space for it.(4 1/16th inch holes are large!)as are the 4 inch hoses and y pipes. To install this unit under the chart table, is a tight fit, all excess wood needs to be removed,but you retain the chart table, (and wine rack?)If you are thinking of AC, E-mail me if you have a question. John Kudera s/v Fifty/Fifty

E

Ed Schenck

Pictures John?

Surely you will post pictures in the photo forum! Sounds like quite a project, maybe I'll put mine off a year. But what about all that junk in the garage? And a cool cabin on those 90 degree days when there's no air moving, hmmmm.... Thanx for the detail.

C

Claude Lafleur

More Air Cond Stuff

I installed a Cabin Mate (Marine Air) 12000 btu unit under the aft starbord setee by moving the hot water heater outboard as much as possible and mating the intake side of the evaporator to the isle side of the aft setee.. The unit in that spot blows aft thru an ell into the cabinet under the sink. Then I ran insulated flex duct (6") thru the cabinet into the space under the sliding door lockers. Then an ell up just forward of the rigging tie rod to a register placed so that it tilts toward the cabin from the top shelf. Plan to run a 4" duct thru head cabinets into V-berth room. Fished electrics through the floor channel. New circuit breaker on 110 V panel. Put thermostat on isle side of sink cabinet, as high up as possible.. Fished water hoses under floor to engine box; mounted water pump and strainer in engine box on port side aft, being careful that the impeller is below the water level Water out of unit goes behind stove into cockpit locker where thru hull is just above the waterline, in same line as but below the bilge pump outlet. Condensate from unit goes into the bilge sump via a short hose.. Not an easy project but well worthwhile. 12 v fans move the air into the aft cabin..

J

Jim Oursler in Rockwall

AC fit

Got my 16000 BTU heat/cool AC under the chart table without cutting the bulkhead. I am partial to preserving bulkheads. It was a very tight fit. Underside of the chart table is a mess. Recently added a hole under the aft lid of chart table to reach the circuit breaker, as otherwise I had to remove a vent to reach it. Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.