H33 Refrig

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Richard

We're thinking about adding refrig to our '81 H33 ice box. We're on an inland lake in Oklahoma, so we get some serious temperature extremes. We're mainly weekend cruisers, some extended stays, do a lot of cooking. - What do you recommend? Prefer battery powered I think!. - Where should we mount the compressor/condenser? - What kind of drain plumbing changes? Currently drains into the bilge. - Shore power is not reliable so we don't stay plugged in - is it okay to start and stop a unit every weekend, and what's the cool down time, from 90 degrees for example? - Are there any wintering problems? We can get as low as -10 on occasion. Thanks. By the way, we still use the original equip Kenyon alcohol stove every weekend and love it!

S

steven f

under the sink

I also own a Hunter 33, 1981. My boat came with the AB cold machine and the cold plate is mounted in the cooler (duh). The compressor is located under the galley sink with grates cut into the side for cross ventilation over the coils. This arrange works very well since the cabin (under sail) is cooler than the outside air sometimes. I sail in SW florida and heat is our speciality. The drain is into the bilge and I dont think I've had a total of one gallen of fluid go there. My boat spends most of its time on shore power and the cool down time is a good 12 hours. I usually turn it on the day before if possible, this is ideal. Also, my system runs on 12 volt, no problems with that system. When I get up in the AM I just start the motor for a while to recharge the batt. (and make sure I can still start the motor). I have found that GOOD batteries are very important, the cheap ones are not worth your trouble (I use four 3 volt gels in series) As far as winter is concerned, we dont get those strange things down here. We have early summer and late summer.

P

Phil Williams

H33

Yes you should go with a 12V system. ColdMachine will be the correct size for the boat. Like Steve said under the sink is a good location. The ice box drain does not need to be changed. You should however plug the drain when using the refrigeration system as the cold air will flow out of the drain into your bilge and freeze all of the little critters down there! You can start and stop the system every weekend without worrying about ill effects on the unit. It will take some time to bring the box down to temperature. It normally takes 12 hours to "cold soak" a box. Of course the change in ambient temperature and size of box will vary this. Wintering the system is very easy. Turn the power off and clean all of the food out of the box. That is all. In the spring you just do the reverse. This is probably one of the easiest to maintain piece of technical equipment you will ever put on your boat. I am glad to hear you are enjoying your Kenyon stove. Email me your address and I will send you a recipe for you to try out on your next trip, it is my favorite one pot dish. Phil Williams

Status
Not open for further replies.