H33 gate valves

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Steve Kratchman

On the h33 1980 I have 2 gate valves working beautifully. However, all the talk about the unreliability has me thinking to change. What size should they be replaced with and what recommendations would be made? Plastic/Fiber or Bronze? Getting all kinds of things ready for racing, i.e, bottom, washing all ropes, tying off ends, checking wiring, rewired in front and rear speakers with a new Alpine Stereo CD with wireless remote, cleaning, polishing, and oiling all blocks, cleats, winches, taking apart the water pump, head hoses, valves, inspection ports. Checking all covers for stitching repairs, making new ones for the bimini to cover areas where sun is at bad angle. Never have had so much fun with a boat!! My wife always knows where I am and what I am probably doing. Boating is the best sport for keeping clean...including me! Have a great sailing time! Can't wait to get back into the water!

D

David McKie

Gates

Suggest you change to the ball valves. Marlon valves do not wear out as fast as bronze. If you do choose bronze be sure they have teflon coated stainless steel balls.

B

Been there

One vote for bronze

I've heard some good things about the Marelon seacocks. They are now used on many higher-end boats. On the other hand, I've also heard that the ball can swell and become stuck. They are not as strong as bronze. Bronze seacocks have a good track record. I am puzzled by the claim that Marelon lasts longer. The expected lifespan of a good bronze seacock is 30 years or more. Marelon seacocks have not been around that long. I like the cone type seacocks, because they are easy to service and adjust. Either way you go, choose high-quality seacocks. Their importance and the effort of replacing them justifies spending a few additional dollars, so that you don't have to go through this again, some years down the road. And to keep your boat afloat.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
It's True, Steve..

..for the 19 years I owned a wood 26' racing sloop, 13 of them were single. I could have gotten into a lot (more) mischief if I hadn't had to do the many projects you mentioned. I learned to paint, varnish, carpenter, wire, ask for help, confront fears, relax, spend more to save later, organize projects and measure twice and cut once. A real adjustment from the corporate life and a healthy hobby. It sounds like you are going to be a very proud owner.

J

Jim O'Brien

Here! here!

When I quit drinking many years ago, my personal reward system included my first sail boat. A Coraonado C15 with US Sails. (olympic class I understand) This was the beginning of a very fulfilling hobby. I have bought 2 boats since, probably with the money I didn't spend on Spirits. It is comforting to myself and my crew that if things get tough out there I am in full command of all my faculties. (another aspect of my reward system.) LOL

D

Don

Replace!

I also thought the gate valves were ok. They weren't. I they are original equipment, do yourself a favor and replace them. I like the Merlon type.

Status
Not open for further replies.