H33 (2005) bilge pump float switch question

Oct 13, 2016
Hunter 33 Kingston
I just replaced the original float switch on my Hunter 33. It's the small box type unit with the float switch inside. The switch did not trigger the pump when manually activated so I figured the switch was toast so I replaced it with a new, mercury-free unit. Electric bilge pump will still not turn on when I lift the float. I tested both switches and they work fine so something's not right with the wiring. The pump works fine using the switch on the electrical panel and I checked the red "bilge reset" button on the battery switch. It looks like it's sticking out a bit and it doesn't move when I press it so not sure if that's part of the problem.

Just wondering if anyone else has had a similar issue as the wiring looks factory instaled. I don't think it was altered in any way.

Cheers,

Maurice
S/V Azimut

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I tested both switches and they work fine so something's not right with the wiring.
The easiest next step to examine the wiring is to test all of the connections.
Are all of the connections tight, is there corrosion on the connections, could the wire be poorly crimped in the fitting and just pull out? You might also look for a "fuse" on the red wire either near the pump or near the battery source for that wire. Sometimes the pump wire gets a fuse plus the circuit breaker.