H326 Boom Bag blues

Jun 6, 2020
Hunter 326 Hasting, Westernport Bay
How on earth are you to unzip/zip up the boom bag at the arch end of the boom, from within the cockpit. The zipper has a string attached but that's not much good as the tail of the zipped sides are not restrained. I'm not that short and I struggle while on tippy toe from the helmsman position. Should I drop the boom to the arch by loosening the topping lift and lazy jack lines? Maybe climb up on the arch, any tricks?

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Assume you are talking about a sail cover as shown in the photo below on a 326. Its a gymnastic exercise. A friend had the same problem on his for many years so replaced it with a stack pack.

1632832854807.png

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
Stuendan, do check out Sailrite Sail Pack video at 1:01:52 I'm sure this will solve your problem as it solved mine.
I'm 1.62m short and I know the struggle to zip/unzip the sailbag.

Ken Y

Jun 6, 2020
Hunter 326 Hasting, Westernport Bay
Thanks for the help guys, it is actually a "stack pack" (probably original, 20 years old and looking tired) but not fitted that well now! From what I can work out, the zipper ends must be restrained, to get some tension on the zipper to help pull it together by attaching end to the topping lift and with a strap at the mast. Got to go back down with ladder to sort out. Hopefully eventually set up the pulleys and line as per Ken's Sail-rite sail pack video :p