H31 - Input on servicing original stuffing box

Feb 6, 2013
Hunter 31 Deale, MD
I think this stuffing box uses 1/4" square packing?

What size and type hose is used to connect the stuffing box to the shaft log? I took the stuffing box into West Maring but din't find a hose that was a good fit.

Thanks.

Dec 14, 2003
Hunter 34 Lake of Two Mountains, QC, Can
As far as packing size, yours is probably 3/16 based on your shaft being 1'' and on the generally accepted measures:
- 1/4" packing on plastic stuffing boxes
- 3/16" on bronze stuffing boxes with 1" shaft
- 5/16" on bronze stuffing boxes with 1 1/4" shaft
If you use 1/4 inch in a bronze packing gland with 1'' shaft, chances are you are not going to be able to put more than 2 strips of packing in the gland. The proper way is 3 strips cut at 45 degrees and installed 120 degrees from one another. that insures proper sealing.

As for the hose, if you took the gland to WM, for sure you can now remove the old hose and measure its length, I.D. and O.D. before you order. Good luck

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2018
Hunter 33.5 Southport
I would suggest that you use Buck Algonquin shaft log hose. Also look at the article that was posted by Maine Sail for instructions on replacing the packing.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Is your stuffing box plastic like mine was? I was committed to replacing mine with a bronze one or going dripless. I went with the LasDrop Gen II. It came with the new hose too.
Have you already removed the trans coupling? Is it still usable? Just another problem that might come up if you replace the hose.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
My box is bronze and was in pretty good shape, but the rubber hose was swelled and not good.

when I replaced the shaft, i cleaned the box, and replaced the hose with the Buck Algonquin hose. Very thick wall, which makes me feel better!

Greg