H31 Bow Roller

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Doug Washburn

There have been several questions on this forum regarding the installation of a bow roller on the Hunter 31. There always have been unresolved questions. Now that I have successfully installed a bow roller on my H31, I thought it could be helpful for me to share this experience. The bow roller I used that fits nicely onto the bow stem of the H31 is the Windline OMR1 readily available at most sailboat supply outlets. It fits conveniently next to the bow stem and requires no drilling into your boat to mount. It uses two of the existing phillips head bolts in the bow stem plate. The aft bolt of these two is threaded into the the companion bow stem plate imbedded in the deck. The forward bolt of these two goes through your toe rail into a hex-nut. There is plenty of length in these bolts to accomodate the thickness of the bow roller. The most challenging part of the installation is the locating of the holes to be drilled in the bow roller. There are three holes to be drilled, two in the bottom of the bow roller and one in the side. You first need to position the bow roller with the anchor in place to be sure your anchor will not come in contact with your hull. I then used a paper template to mark the bottom hole positions and transfer them onto the bow roller. Drilling required a 5/16 titanium bit. (The roller is stainless steel) After drilling the two bottom holes, repostion the bow roller on your boat to position the side hole. Mount the bow roller bottom bolts first and then the side bolt using spacers to fill the gap between the vertical flange of the bow stem and the side of the bow roller. Mount a short bunge cord in the anchor locker to hold the anchor in place and you are done.

Status
Not open for further replies.