H30T (93) Rainwater in swimming platform lockers

Jul 26, 2020
Hunter Legend 30 Poole Dorset UK
I did originally post this problem last December but I now have an update. My original thought was that rainwater was entering through the swim ladder brackets. I have now removed the ladder and sealed the bolt holes and still water is entering at quite a rate. I can only identify one possible entry from the backstay fittings but there is no evidence from the Talc powder trail I have laid. There is a raised skeg in the centre of the locker that collects the water both sides that would indicate water coming from a central position. These lockers appear to be sealed from the main lockers containing the fuel and waste tanks and there is no sign of water entry within the main hull.
Wherever this leak is it must be quite large to allow water in after every rainstorm. Appreciate any advice please.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Might perform a water test from shore water hose to isolate the leak point.

Oct 29, 2020
Hunter 30T Grand Rivers, KY
just an FYI while discussing these storage lockers. mine('91) drain into the bilge. not a good place to store LP gas.

Jul 26, 2020
just an FYI while discussing these storage lockers. mine('91) drain into the bilge. not a good place to store LP gas.
Thanks for your reply, my problem is with the swim platform lockers, I think you are referring to the cockpit lockers which I agree do drain into the bilge.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
My '91 30T cockpit locker has its own drain into the cockpit. I would guess, but I don't know, the platform lockers drain to the bilge. If not, they should.

Jul 26, 2020
My '91 30T cockpit locker has its own drain into the cockpit. I would guess, but I don't know, the platform lockers drain to the bilge. If not, they should.
Justin, agreed the cockpit locker has its drain to the cockpit . The platform lockers are virtually sealed from the main hull. Only possible entries, ladder bolts, rear mast stay mounts or the lids which are designed to be waterproof. Hence my problem.

Mar 23, 2020
Hunter 30G Nanaimo
The best method for finding these nuisance leaks is to take a piece of heavy plastic and tape it over the locker opening with a shop vac hose taped through it. Pressurize the locker with the vac in blower mode Then using a spray bottle of soapy water, spray down the outside, especially around fittings and look for bubbles

Jul 26, 2020
The best method for finding these nuisance leaks is to take a piece of heavy plastic and tape it over the locker opening with a shop vac hose taped through it. Pressurize the locker with the vac in blower mode Then using a spray bottle of soapy water, spray down the outside, especially around fittings and look for bubbles
Thanks for the suggestion

Mar 14, 2021
Hunter 320 Gloucester Point VA
I did originally post this problem last December but I now have an update. My original thought was that rainwater was entering through the swim ladder brackets. I have now removed the ladder and sealed the bolt holes and still water is entering at quite a rate. I can only identify one possible entry from the backstay fittings but there is no evidence from the Talc powder trail I have laid. There is a raised skeg in the centre of the locker that collects the water both sides that would indicate water coming from a central position. These lockers appear to be sealed from the main lockers containing the fuel and waste tanks and there is no sign of water entry within the main hull.
Wherever this leak is it must be quite large to allow water in after every rainstorm. Appreciate any advice please.
I've had the same problem of water coming through a gudgeon for the swim ladder. It got smashed into the dock during a storm and that wound up opening one of the bolt holes. I replaced the gudgeon and used 5200 to glue it down with bigger bolts. Alas, it still leaks and I'm at a loss at what to do. Very discouraging.

Attachments

Jul 26, 2020
I've had the same problem of water coming through a gudgeon for the swim ladder. It got smashed into the dock during a storm and that wound up opening one of the bolt holes. I replaced the gudgeon and used 5200 to glue it down with bigger bolts. Alas, it still leaks and I'm at a loss at what to do. Very discouraging.
Sorry to hear about your accident, I have always been convinced that it is the ladder bolts, I have today just rebedded with a copious amount of Butyl tape.