H30 Yanmar 2qm15 fuel pump installation

Oct 20, 2011
Hunter 30 Green Bay
I'm replacing the lift pump. Got the old one off without too much trouble. Putting the new one on is presenting quite a problem. I took off the old one and put it back on several years ago and don't remember any problems. I even enlisted my daughter with skinny arms to reach in there but no luck. Does anyone have any tricks to get this thing installed ??

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
Is there an access port on the wall behind the engine? My H33 has one. Still difficult.

Oct 20, 2011
Hunter 30 Green Bay
No. I cut out most of the wall on the port side to access the shaft. I did read on another thread replacing the 2 small bolts with studs and nuts. Picked those up today and will try tomorrow.

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
When I did that job on the 3QM30 (essentially identical) I found that I needed to rotate the camshaft just a little so the lever from the pump that runs on the cam shaft is not actually pushing on the camshaft lobe. This is achieved by rotating the crankshaft. That is made easier by using the decompression leavers.

I was really struggling to get the pump back in place but once rotated a bit it fitted right on.

P.S. Replacing that pump cured intermittent bouts of loss of power.

Paul F

Jun 3, 2004
Hunter 1980 - 33 Bradenton
Haven't been on the site for a while. It is good to see it still going. My solution for a fuel pump replacement was to go electric and bypass the engine. Very easy to do and it works well. You might consider it.