H280 (1996) Survey Questions Keel Bolt Torque and Inspection

Aug 19, 2021
Hunter 280 White House Cove Marina
Prior to purchasing the Prometheus I had a survey completed.

I have completed all the "A" items that were safety related or required immediate repair. I have started the "B" list and the second item is this;

B-2 The keel bolts were unable to be inspected due to installation. The tops of the keel bolts were in good condition as able to be observed. Keel bolts should be torqued annually to manufacturer’s recommendations. The keel should also be lowered periodically (again, according to the manufacturer’s recommendation) so that all mounting hardware, hull to keel joint, etc, can be thoroughly inspected. Recommend having a competent marine repair facility complete the following:
B-2.1 Torque all keel bolt hardware to manufacturer’s specifications.
B-2.2 Consult with the manufacturer and verify the recommended schedule for lowering the keel and inspecting the keel bolts. If the keel has not been lowered and it is due, lower the keel and conduct the inspection. Otherwise, incorporate it into the vessel’s overall maintenance schedule.

I have a torque sheet so that does not seem to be an issue. However it seems insane to lower a 6000 LB lead keel for inspection.

I will be sending Hunter an email and asking them the questions above;
Verify the torque specification?
How often does Hunter recommend torqueing the keel bolts?
How often does Hunter recommend dropping the keel for inspection?

I swear the dropping of the keel in my mind is the kiss of death on 26 year old boat.

Thx for any ideas and information you have on this topic.

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
Wow, that's a new one. I've never heard of dropping the keel as a regular maintenance item before.

Regarding torque on the keel bolts, when I had a C&C27 I did check the keel bolt torque annually. I no longer have keel bolts so that's not a concern for me any more.

I would not call dropping the keel a kiss of death, it's not easy but is doable on most boats. I just wouldn't advise it unless there are concerns with the condition of the keel bolts or signs of damage or leaking.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
If you don’t see any evidence of issues (cracks or separation, leaks, rusted keel bolts, etc.) when you inspect the keel joint, I would not worry about it. Yes, check torque, but dropping the keel at this age of boat is not required... unless you see signs of issues.

I owned a 1996 H280 and the keel joint was solid.

Greg

• Helpful