H27 Water in the Bilge

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

John Staryak

I found considerable water in the bilge when I bought the boat last spring. I re-caulked and tightened the bow and stern pulpits, which were loose. When sailing this summer water would come up from the bilge, especially when heeling. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can stop this?

J

Jim McCue

Bilge h2o

Maybe you should try a dye around your mast cabin stantion pole to indicate a trail. You may have water coming in from your mast!. Also since you say it is worse when you heal, put some paper around your thru hulls and see if they are leaking..

M

Mike Birch, Drifter II

Packing Gland and Ice Box

Check your packing gland. My '82 27' had a continually wet bilge until I had the packing glad re-stuffed with Teflon packing. A few drips mount up and a sail can get everything shaken down to the bilge. Now I get some water in the bilge, maybe a cup full, after a sail if the water was choppy and wind was good, I think most it probably comes in the bilge pump overboard drain and the rest from the few drips necessary for the shaft to turn. I sponge it out after a sail and now it remains dry as a bone. Also be aware that the ice box drains into he bilge, it is not too well insulated and ice melts quite fast, did you have ice in it during the summer?

J

Jack Laird

Rudder post gland

The rudder post gland is above the water line so of course it dosen't leak when the boat is at rest. However, when the boat is moving it will push water up the post and past the gland if it is not properly tight. The faster the boat speed the more water. Either tighten or repack the gland and chances are you leaker will be dry. Check for leaks next time you are under sail by looking under the rear seat or maybe puting a dry rag around the base of the post and checking after your sail.

E

Emory Ellis

Stuffing Box

I had the same problem when I purchased my 27. Try checking the stuffing box for leakage. I doubled up on the clamps and the problem was solved.

Status
Not open for further replies.