H260 Furling Main Sail

Tedd

Jul 25, 2013
TES 246 Versus near Vancouver, BC
There's an H260 (inboard) for sale in Oxnard. I'm not interested in the fixed keel version but, from the photos, it looks like this boat has a furling main sail. Does anyone here know about that system? I'm guessing it wasn't a factory option on the boat, since I've never seen another H260 that had one.

Jun 12, 2021
Hunter 240 Aqualand Marina, Lake Lanier
I have only seen them on the Rhodes 22. It almost sees like magic the way the sail can fit into the mast.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Nice sailboat with an inboard Yanmar and aftermarket behind the mast mainsail furler. Seen plenty of ehind the mast mainsail furlers. Sailors either love or dislike them. To find out how others feel about them do an internet search on "behind the mast furler reviews" and find threads like these:

Behind the mast furler | Sailboat Owners Forums
Search - behind the mast furler reviews (bing.com)
Behind the mast roller furling | SailNet Community

A sea trail will tell how you like it. I like my Selden in-mast mainsail furler.

Last edited:

Tedd

Jul 25, 2013
Thanks, guys.

@sail sfbay , I'm interested in it because of the potential to speed up rigging the boat when I launch it. I tow and launch every time I sail, so streamlining the process matters a lot to me.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Wonder if the furling mainsail has a sewn in sun cover and if not, how difficult is it to cover it with a sun protector?

Last edited:

Tedd

Jul 25, 2013
Wonder if the furling mainsail has a sewn in sun cover abd if not, how difficult is it to cover it with a sun protector?
Once the mast is down it wouldn't be difficult to cover it. In fact, with a furling headsail I could have one cover that went over both. Although, since my boat is always stored under a canopy, there's probably little need for either.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
I think it would make raising the mast much tougher. Not that much weight but until the mast is up higher than 45 degrees it is certainly going to be noticeable.

I keep mine on the boom it is not very time consuming to slip the slugs in and hoist away

Tedd

Jul 25, 2013
I think it would make raising the mast much tougher.
With the H260 you use either a B&T or a winch to raise the mast, so that's not really a factor. But there are two key issues related to mass that I would have to look closely at. One is that the increased mass increases the load on the raising system (halyard, block, etc.) and on the mast itself, while being raised. The other is the increased load on the mast when it's being towed, especially dynamic load. Most likely, I'd add some kind of removable center support for the mast when it's in the stowed position.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Most likely, I'd add some kind of removable center support for the mast when it's in the stowed position.
The PO of the Mac26S I once owned did just that. Shaped a 2X4 crutch that would attach to the mast base hinge pin when the mast was in the tow position

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
The first 30 degrees take a lot of effort.
Added weight increases the moment.
If the mast does not come down often it's not as big a deal but I'm not sure I'd would not want to do that every time I sailed.

Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
From my experience with the H23 the issue is less that you have to overcome the weight of the mast than its tendency to sway sideways when part way up. I don't know if this boat model has a good set of baby stays to support it sideways. You can always fashion a lift with enough mechanical advantage to overcome the weight of the furled sail, though if course it will make lifting or lowering slower. Controlling the sideways sway is critical as it can be catastrophic.

Tedd

Jul 25, 2013
I don't know if this boat model has a good set of baby stays to support it sideways.
The H260 comes with tubular baby stays that are meant to remain permanently attached.

Pro tip: On my Mac 26S I used removable baby stays made of chain. Chain works really well because it's (obviously) quite rigid in tension and because, by simply twisting the chain after installing it, you can take out slack so that lateral control of the mast is excellent. I routinely raised and lowered my mast while on the water.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
The 260 is a water ballast and it cannot accommodate an onboard diesel. If you are talking about an onboard diesel, it is a 270 wing keel. I introduced both boats in 1997
Both boats were designed as trailerable boats.
Added weight to the mast would make much more difficult to raise, less stable and whatever is on the back of the mast will be crushed when it comes down on the aft mast carrier. In addition the mainsail was designed as a bigger sail than the standard mainsail for more power. It came standard with one reef. I would suggest a second reef for high wind if you want to do that but one would need to experienced