H26 waterballast/Portsmouth rating

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bucky Sherman

Im responsible for scoring our yacht clubs yearly regatta. We recently had a new member join that owns a H26 water ballast trailer sailor. Over the past months, we have been sailing together on Lake Okeechobee and it is very apparent that this boat is quite a bit quicker than my H27 in most conditions. We recently held a practice race to prepare for our upcoming regatta. We use the Portsmouth system to score. I was amazed to find that the H26 has a D-PN handicap 0f 92. My boat has a handicap of 93.9, and to give a third comparison a Catalina 27 with an inboard is rated at 90. I belive someone was smoking crack when they rated this boat. There is no way possible that this boat should be rated this high. It surely should not be rated higher than the Catalina and shouldn't be so close to my boat either. Has anyone had any experience handicaping this boat? Maybe a H26 owner that races could reply to shed some light on this cloudy situation. Thanks in advance for any help. B.Sherman Commodore,PYC

J

Jim Covey

That rating is with no spinnaker

Bucky, We use the Portsmouth ratings at our club here also and although I don't race alot I can tell you that upwind I can beat a old and new H27s but downwind they smoke me so overall the rating is about right. Is your guy using a chute downwind or more that a 100% jib? If so the rating will be way off but there isn't a rating in our Portsmouth book for a spinnaker or genoa. I know there's a new version of Portsmouth out there but we don't have it yet and I don't know if it will have a rating with spinnaker. Jim Covey

Status
Not open for further replies.