H26 mast on H23.5

Aug 13, 2021
Hunter 23.5 Atlanta
Can a H26 mast be cut down and used to replace the mast on a H23.5? My 1995 23.5 mast is the Zspar Z190. I'm looking at a used Z230 off of a H26? I think it may be a little too big, but wondered if anyone here may have some insights.

Thanks!

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I think they are are the same .... so yes... just cut the mast down.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
In our PHRF fleet there was a Pearson 33 that lost its mast. The yard that replaced and re-rigged it put a mast that was about two feet too tall. Looked ridiculous. In a year or two the sail went all the way to the top (New Sail). He only sailed Wed pm which isn't scored so there were no complaints.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Actually the masts are different sizes. Cost of parts include standing rigging, mast foot and base, etc will be difficult to nail down. I am not sure if old wire rigging will work due to age. Experience is at play here. Not sure if the spreaders have to be cut down. Not sure of the degree of the swept back spreaders are the same. Shipping cost of mast to buyer. There may be other issues but all I can do is point out issues and other things to consider.

Aug 13, 2021
Hunter 23.5 Atlanta
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Think I'll keep looking for a used Z190 just to be sure of the fit. Please let me know if you hear of anyone wanting to unload a used one.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Snoop around in the archives. I have a faint memory of someone with a busted ballast tank a few years back. They might be able to give you a lead on one being parted out.

bmorr

Apr 5, 2009
Hunter 26 Pueblo Lake CO
How did you break yours? On a previous boat I broke the mast at the spreaders going to the ramp. Stray tree branch. My insurance was very helpful and my out of pocket was minimal. After 2 more masts came down they trimmed the tree.