H26 crutch mount bolts

Sep 21, 2020
Hunter 26 Lake Mead
I am redesigning the crutch mount. I would like to remove the bolts in the old cutch mount (shown in picture). Does anyone know if the are threaded into the fiberglass or if there are nuts on the other end? If there are nuts, how could I access them from the inside? Thanks in advance.
20211203_155058.jpg

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
The aft bulkhead has a hatch. Open that and you will be able access the back of the bolts

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
There are alot of questions due to concerns. We need to talk. PM me with telephone and your location. Use forum privat message as I warn using this open forum sending personal info
Dave

Sep 21, 2020
Hunter 26 Lake Mead
Had a nice chat with @crazydave. When I got my boat, it had a rotting 2x4 suspended by 2 ropes holding up the crutch. Does anyone have a picture of what the crutch mount is supposed to look like? Dave is going to try and find some pictures as well.

Jan 19, 2010
Dave asked me to post pics of the mount. I am afraid I could not find any. Sorry.

Sep 21, 2020
Hunter 26 Lake Mead
After I saw the picture of the part and then reinspected the stern, here's the situation. This is an H26 that had a wheel added. The indent in the stern where the orig. pole went was filled in when the steering mechanism was installed. Further, the lip on the bottom of the boat is cracked, looks like a crutch damaged it at one time. I think I have no choice but to design something custom as I don't wish to risk damaging the bottom of the hull.

Jan 19, 2010
I love these sort of design questions. That should not be very difficult. I made a new gin pole for the mast rasing system and found the aluminum pole I needed in the fencing section at Lowes. Tractor supply would also be a good place to scrounge for hardware, I can imagine making a small block about 2" cube out of starboard or trex. Bolt that to the transom someplace low and add a plastic dowel on top as a pin. Then set your pole on that and bolt it to the transom with through bolts. Make a crutch out of trex or starboard and bolt that to the pole... add some cleats to tie the mast down with when trailering... pad the crutch with some carpet to keep the mast from getting scratched.

I'd do something like this

1639248136038.png

Sep 21, 2020
Hunter 26 Lake Mead
I love these sort of design questions. That should not be very difficult. I made a new gin pole for the mast rasing system and found the aluminum pole I needed in the fencing section at Lowes. Tractor supply would also be a good place to scrounge for hardware, I can imagine making a small block about 2" cube out of starboard or trex. Bolt that to the transom someplace low and add a plastic dowel on top as a pin. Then set your pole on that and bolt it to the transom with through bolts. Make a crutch out of trex or starboard and bolt that to the pole... add some cleats to tie the mast down with when trailering... pad the crutch with some carpet to keep the mast from getting scratched.

I'd do something like this

View attachment 200877
Wow, nice design, I'll post updates here as I progress. I have a really sturdy crutch pole but the opening at the top is too narrow for mast + furling so I always struggle with it. I plan to widen it and add rollers so the mast can be more easily lined up.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
If going that route, make sure the pole is straight up and down which any mount might need a shim. Sorry but it has been some time since seeing the transom to make sure there is no reverse transom on it