H26 Anchor light + Wind vane + kickup rudder

Apr 10, 2010
Hunter 26 Boca Chica, Rep. of Panama
I don't know what has knocked them both out. The Vane is missing the tail section and the light is hanging by it wires.
I would like the to know which replacements I can order that will work with no modifications.I want to be able to lower the mast and replace these instruments and get the mast back up in one afternoon or less.

Oh I also have a kickup rudder. The tie point and line is missing? This rudder never popped up on my H26 for me or anyone one else I asked to try. I would love to get it to work instead of having to climb down into the ocean at the end of a day to get an arm under to lift it up. The best I or anyone has been able to do is get the rudder horizontal to the water surface. But first I need to contact the mfg if you are familiar with this kickup design. Do you know²22 the mfg?

Gee is it just a line that is missing as I examine this photo? Maybe so...! I replaced that nitrogen strut once and it made no difference in trying to lift it fully to a full verticle. I have had others try as I said!

1000042481.png

pgandw

Oct 14, 2023
Stuart (ODay) Mariner 19 Yeopim Creek
Looks identical in function to the Ruddercraft rudder on my Mariner. It takes a bit of pull to get the rudder started in the up direction from full down - the leverage and gas strut are against you. Many times my rudder comes up to horizontal and stops there. I use a boat hook or reach over to get it up the rest of the way (docked position).

The line with the handle is the only rudder line. I have a small clam cleat on the aft end of the tiller that holds the line in the up position. To lower the rudder, release the line, and the rudder goes down by itself. As my gas strut may be ending end of life, sometimes I have to give the rudder a little push to start it down.

When underway, the gas strut pushes the rudder back down after kicking up on an obstacle - fully automatic operation. And holds it down until an obstacle is hit. I love the Ruddercraft rudder for sailing the shallow waters in the creeks off Albemarle Sound. Submerged cypress log - no worries, rudder kicks up. If it's shallow enough, centerboard will kick up, too. The Ruddercraft rudder has more area than the ODay Mariner standard rudder, is better balanced, and therefore has only a very slight weather helm, even in considerable wind.

Fred W
Stuart Mariner 19 #4133 Sweet P

Apr 10, 2010
Hunter 26 Boca Chica, Rep. of Panama
Aaaa so others have the same issue. Oh so the gas strut is for obstacales in the water that might pop it up which makes total sense now. From time to time dead tree trunk with a sea bird perched on it catches my eye. Clam cleat will look it up. On my own here pretty much with no sailor jargon to pick up on. I was a kid sailor briefly then 30+ yrs later I told my wife I just bought a sail boat. Thanks!