H26.5 outboard controls

Dec 23, 2019
Hunter 26.5 Pueblo Reservoir
S/V Courtuna is back on the hard and I’m trying to get her ready to go back in for another Colorado, winter sea trial. When we got her, the remote motor control cables were disconnected and buggered up. We’ve got new control cables, and the electric start works flawlessly, motor runs great, etc. However, non of the control cable mounts were on the motor and so I’m a little befuddled as to how the control cables mount up to the motor. They are pretty stiff cables, much more so than a motorcycle, etc. and so where do they go when the motor gets raised? Seems they might kink or put a great deal of stress on the cable mounting brackets. I’d really like to see a photo of what the controls at the outboard are supposed to look like if someone might be able to share. I’m going to need to fabricate brackets to hold the teleflex cable mounts and I’m curious what the originals would’ve looked like.

Cheers,
mc

Attachments

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
When you order new cables the instructions recommend adding a few extra feet so you can "LOOP" them... this will allow the motor to be moved without stressing the connection.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
BTW, check your owner's manual for proper connection. That shift lever (front, black) doesn't look right... here's a link to owner's manuals

Jun 5, 2004
Hunter 26.5 wichita, ks
I have the original Nissan on my 26.5. In order to raise the motor, I have to remove the shifter cable. the Cable bracket is too close to the boat, when the motor is raised. PIA!
when I replaced the cable, I think it only came in 6’ length, so it had to be looped. The cable still needs to be removed in order to raise the motor.

Jun 5, 2004
Hunter 26.5 wichita, ks
correction: mine is too close, in the raised position, to the motor mount, binding the cable up. The loop in the cable is inside the boat. When looking at pictures in the classifieds, it looks like one has a loop in his cable, on the exterior, at the motor.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 340 Baytown TX
When it stops raining here, I will try to get a photo and post it on this thread of the brackets on my original 1987 Nissan 9.9 that’s still out in my barn. I did not have to remove cables to raise the motor, everything had nice curves and nothing pinched when I tilted it up. Pretty sure it was factory, but could have been something the local dealer installed.