H25.5 deck painting

Aug 26, 2016
Hunter 25.5 Lake Lanier
I have an ~'85 Hunter 25.5, deck has the non-stick diamond pattern. Boat is in freshwater lake (not sure if freshwater vs saltwater matters when it comes to paint). I'm guessing it has never been repainted.

I want do a "minimal level" paint job - my goal is to make it look better, not worried about non-stick, winning beauty contests, or paint that will last for 100 years. If you think this is the wrong way to approach this project, please share your thoughts! I pressure-washed the deck a couple of months ago. Assuming it is still somewhat clean what are the next steps? I've read other posts in which acetone is applied, then all non-paintable areas are taped, then apply paint. Is that the general approach? What type of paint? What is the minimum number of coats?

Thanks for your help.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
..........I want do a "minimal level" paint job - my goal is to make it look better, not worried about non-stick, winning beauty contests, or paint that will last for 100 years. If you think this is the wrong way to approach this project, please share your thoughts! I pressure-washed the deck a couple of months ago. Assuming it is still somewhat clean what are the next steps? I've read other posts in which acetone is applied, then all non-paintable areas are taped, then apply paint. Is that the general approach? What type of paint? What is the minimum number of coats?..........
My boat contractor just preped the ~600 sqft of patterned non-skid by washing followed by treating with acetone and alcohol, taping it off then applied Algrip Awlgrip Marine Paint | Awlgrip Boat Paints & Primers (bottompaintstore.com) 3 part system including color-matched topcoat polyester urethane paint, converter and reducer without a flattener) and looks great on a 37 year old boat. Without the flattener the finish is glossy, albeit not slippery, leaves no scuff marks and cleans easily. For a sailboat might consider adding a flattener to reduce the gloss for potenially improved traction. Photos attached.

Attachments

Last edited: