H25.5 chain plate

kco

May 19, 2019
Hunter 25.5 2 Portneuf, Quebec
hello,
we are preparing our sailboat for starting our 2nd season,
I just noticed the chain plate on port side had leak, plywood is a bit rotten,
I took pictures but forgot my mobile into the boat, I will update with pictures...
Actually mast is on.
I'm wondering if it's possible to apply a quick fix for the coming year (phase 1)?
and then I'm ready to replace the entire wall (pĥase 2) - remember how the chain plate are in H25.5 ?
Starboard side is in much better shape, but I plan to re-new it also in phase 2.

is a quick fix like this can do?
adding a 1/8"thick SS plate, 2' wide 1'height back to the chain plate

is it possible to remove chain plate without removing the mast ?

any hints, suggestions are very welcome
many thanks

sail safe

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
If you only sail on Wednesdays when the breezes are light and the water is calm then you have only a little to worry about.

You can get hit by a bus walking across the street.

If you go sailing in the Ocean, in a storm, with full sails you are likely to loose the mast.

Then there is everything in between.

If concerned have a good rigger look at it and offer an opinion. There is nothing worse than a mast coming down as a surprise.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
You can use a halyard strung to the toe rail to support the mast while you repair the chain plate

• Helpful

kco

May 19, 2019
thanks all
I have access to chain plate and bolts, see picture of both side of the chain plate on port side.
Last year I removed, form the exterior, to chain plate cover, cleaned it, and apply new silicon caulk, but when I've installed the mast the chain plate begin to leak again, I've added more silicon on top. I had fixed the leak for the last season, but after the winter leak appear again, I will try to fix it again,
but now it's the structure solidity that I'm not sure.
We do only 'soft' sailing as I'm a beginner, but also because I'm a beginner I'm not sure if the rig have to take more shock...

sail safe
kev

Attachments

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@kco Sounds like your getting into this boat ownership.

The actions are reasonable and a good start. One of the things you will learn (or hear shouted) is that the silicone caulk while good in a home kitchen or bathroom, is less favorable on your boat.

I would encourage you to explore the ideas of Butyl tape for your chainplate repair as a caulk. This article is a good start. Rebedding Deck Hardware With Bed-It Butyl Tape - Marine How To

I used butyl to refit my chainplates in 2016. Since then no leaks. One of the keys I have learned on a boat is to use caulks when attaching hardware with fasteners. Let the fastener do the work of holding the item in place and the caulk to seal the little gaps around the fastener to stop water intrusion.

Good luck and keep sharing your successes with us as you explore this sailing adventure.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
There is a cover plate that goes over chain plate where most leaks occur Held in place if memory serves right by four screws. Remove the screws , lift up the plate and remove all caulk to include around deck where chain plate goes through. Recaullk with a pure grade architectural silicon. GE has one for outside windows/doors/shower doors simulate to Dow 795. Go ahead and fill liberally and put on screw threads too. Clean up quickly using alcohol. Acetone works too but harsh. Did many this way over the years as a dealer

kco

May 19, 2019
@Crazy Dave Condon you're right... four screws...,
I did the task last year, but I used 3M 4200, and leak appeared as soon as I install the mast, 4200 is too rigid,
and the inside plywood wall (that hold the chain plate) is not as rigid as it supposed to be (I assume)
I've added GE marine silicone on top and fixed it for the short summer season, after the cold hibernating winter, leak re appear.
I will definitively re-fix the leak, I would be tempted to try the Butyl tape...
But my main concern is the solidity of the plywood, on which the mast is hold.
I would like to do the minimum repair required for safety, and I would want to renew the all set next year...

thanks for your help a!!

sail safe
kev

kco

May 19, 2019
Hello all.
last year I removed the mast so next spring it's clear to repair the chain block attachment and seal...

I'm wondering if some one already replaced the entire Ply-wood wall on port side ?
Is it possible to install that big part, only by removing the top ?
How to get the dimension/shape of that wall ?

see my pictures in the post June 3, 2020
wall in place is a bit rotten, I hesitate to just install fresh stuff over it, to make the chain bloc secure.

Sail safe