H-42 1995 Air Conditioning relay for pump

May 15, 2006
Hunter 42 San Diego, CA
The AC in Alter'Tudes both fore and aft has stopped working, the pump is not running. There is voltage at the circuit breaker, but not at the pump. Where is the relay that controls the power to the pump itself located? Both AC units power up, but of course without water flow they don't cool.

Thanks

Joel

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
You will need a schematic of the system to determine what relay it is ....also check each wire from the pump connections to make sure they are not broken or corroded am be careful that is 120 vac you are working with ....if you find that the relay is bad determine what kind it is and go on line to Newark electrical supply and match it up and order it from them. They have very good prices

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
Also check to see if the pump has failed they do that from time to time

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
P42 Heat Pumps

Hi Joel, our 1991 model boat came with dual MarineAir heat pumps and a Little Giant sea water circulating pump. The pump starts as soon as you turn either unit on. Absent a electrical schematic, I would call MarineAir technical support for assistance. There must be some relay built into each heat pump that supplies the necessary connection that starts the sea water pump. They have always been very helpful in the past. Both of our original units continue to operate.

May 15, 2006
Hunter 42 San Diego, CA
Thanks for the assistance. I have used a volt meter at the circuit breaker and at the pump, voltage at the circuit breaker and none at the pump. According to the schematic there is a relay between the breaker and the pump, the wire changes color somewhere between to breaker and pump. With our 95 Hunter 42 we have 3 breakers, one for each AC unit and one marked relay that runs the Little Giant pump. Now I need to find the location in the boat of the relay.

Dec 25, 2000
P42 Heat Pump

Hi Joel, appears time to chase wires. The route is probably similar to ours. There is a courtesy light right at the step next to the nav station. The panel for the light mount provides cover to the wire chase between the main power panel and the starboard side of the boat.

Silly question, but I'm assuming you have 120VAC on the output side of the breaker? The wire color change tells me that there is a connection between the circuit breaker, to each heat pump, then Little Giant.

May 15, 2006
Hunter 42 San Diego, CA
Thanks Terry, I was afraid that was going to be the answer. Next time I get to the boat thats at the top on my list.

Joel

jasonp

Oct 17, 2018
Hunter Passage 42 Biloxi, MS
I know it has been 8 years since this thread was last posted to/on, but I was trying to save time while working on my A/C units on my 1995 Hunter Passage 42 (H42, H-42). The location of the relay for the Marine Air air conditoners was being a little elusive, and I could not find any information about the location...but I found it. I figured I'd post this to help the next P42 Owner. It is under the sink in the gallley, mounted to the forward cabinet wall. Open the right hand cabinet door and look to your right...it will be obvious.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2000
Open the right hand cabinet door and look to your right...it will be obvious.
Wow, Jason. You get the sleuth award. Never would have thought. I'll look the next time to the boat. System now worky?

jasonp

Oct 17, 2018
Hunter Passage 42 Biloxi, MS
System now worky?
I was doing a "descaling" of the system with Barnacle Buster and needed to run the A/C water pump by itself. That was easier than I thought. On mine, the "relay" just controls a 110 outlet under the sink. The pump still has a factory 110 end on it and is plugged into that. All you have to do is unplug from that and plug into an extension cord...voila, the pump runs and can be used to circulate the Barnacle Buster.

This can be used to troubleshoot the relay. use the entension cord to confirm if the pump runs or not...